SVS subwoofer with 4.1 system?

alexp2468

Hey,

I was about to buy 3 SWS subs from klipsch, but did some shopping around to see what other kinds of subs were out there. would the SVS sub found here http://svsubwoofers.com/subs_pci.htm work with the Klipsch 4.1 system and a soud blaster audigy 2 card? Would this or a triple SWS system be better? i have heard here that the SWS subs cant dig very low, or provide much of a punch at those frequencies below about 40hz. Also, do you have any reccomendations for a single sub that would be better than the triple SWS for under about 600 bucks?

Thanks,

Alex

• Moderators

Not to give you a sales pitch, but IMO (and not even b/c I work here), the SWS is a fantastic deal. You really can't find any match in the price range (or even a little pricier), and by getting 3 for only $300, you have all that versatility as well. You can hook one up to your soundcard, one to a sub-out on a recevier, and another up to whatever you please! For that reason, I would snag up this deal asap.

If you just want a high quality sub for one application and can spend around $600, then by all means, shop around!!

And for anyone not sure they'll be happy with the SWS, keep in mind we do have a 30-day money back guarantee. We don't think you'll be disappointed, though.

----------------

On 12/16/2003 3:06:09 PM alexp2468 wrote:

Hey,

I was about to buy 3 SWS subs from klipsch, but did some shopping around to see what other kinds of subs were out there. would the SVS sub found here
work with the Klipsch 4.1 system and a soud blaster audigy 2 card? Would this or a triple SWS system be better? i have heard here that the SWS subs cant dig very low, or provide much of a punch at those frequencies below about 40hz. Also, do you have any reccomendations for a single sub that would be better than the triple SWS for under about 600 bucks?

Thanks,

Alex

----------------

If my 4.1's can hit a 30Hz note, and get complaints from the next wing at college, those things damn well BETTER dig that deep AND LOWER. I was actually surprised to learn that my home theater sub has problems reaching what my PROMEDIAS can reach. I might just return the sub and get a couple SWS's. It kills me to do that though. This home theater sub is so powerful... so loud...

SVS is a lot better then sws as far as quallity. The power of the SVS depends on the amp mostly and which SVS you buy. for 600 bucks you can really only get the single 12inch SVS with the 320 watt amp, thats about 600 bucks. 6 sws's would go much louder/lower then that.

for 99 dollars, the SWS is a fantastic deal. i have one gripe though, the shipping just kills it. it brings it up to about 130. same happened when I bought my ultras. ended up paying ~450 for my ultras (ground). It's just insane. I dont know why Klipsch doesn't use FedEx Saver or something. I honetsly thing they'd make better business that way.

----------------

On 12/19/2003 3:06:49 AM Point Blank wrote:

If my 4.1's can hit a 30Hz note, and get complaints from the next wing at college, those things damn well BETTER dig that deep AND LOWER. I was actually surprised to learn that my home theater sub has problems reaching what my PROMEDIAS can reach. I might just return the sub and get a couple SWS's. It kills me to do that though. This home theater sub is so powerful... so loud...

----------------

What did you get that it hits 30hz less than a dual 6.5" multimedia subwoofer? The promedia 4.1 doesn't even hit 30hz with real authority. And not all subwoofer are made the same and some of them out there suuuuck.

----------------

On 12/19/2003 1:32:58 PM GooseChaser wrote:

What did you get that it hits 30hz less than a dual 6.5" multimedia subwoofer? The promedia 4.1 doesn't even hit 30hz with real authority. And not all subwoofer are made the same and some of them out there suuuuck.

----------------

Dude. I heard it myself. Try "get low" by "lil john". Granted I get some if not a lot of port noise when I do it, but my 4.1 sub plays it with dignity. It plays it so loud that I got complaints from the next wing. I guess I got the set of 4.1's that does it, because they do, and they play it loud. Hell, they can even accomplish a 20Hz test tone. Granted I cant hear it very well, and if I turn it up they act weird, but they can still do it.

I value your opinion, but you cannot refute my experiences.

----------------

On 12/19/2003 3:39:44 PM Point Blank wrote:

Granted I get some if not a lot of port noise when I do it, but my 4.1 sub plays it with dignity.

----------------

Exactly. I don't care if a subwoofer can hit 115dB at 30hz if I can hear a distortion at 90dB and up. That's how my RSW-12 was, it was defective. As far as I was concerned, I bought a $1200 subwoofer that hits 90dB at 30hz.

What subwoofer did you get?

----------------

On 12/19/2003 4:15:48 PM GooseChaser wrote:

Exactly. I don't care if a subwoofer can hit 115dB at 30hz if I can hear a distortion at 90dB and up. That's how my RSW-12 was, it was defective. As far as I was concerned, I bought a $1200 subwoofer that hits 90dB at 30hz.

----------------

heheh, I was thinking for a second "How the hell did he know I bought a sub?" Then I read what I said above.2.gif

Anyway, I got the Sony SAWM500. It was a 200 dollar home theater sub. I love how powerful it is. It absolutely shakes everything around it, but it doesnt carry the way I think it should. I hate to send it back, but I will if things dont improve when I upgrade the computer its hooked up to.

In the lil john song, my promedia 4.1s make the lowest bass hit carry incredibly far. I cant really describe it, but you would be able to tell the difference if you heard both subs.

Maybe its all because I have it hooked up to a computer. Not a good computer either. It has an old SB16 from creative. I am using the "line out" jack for the sub.

It kills me to think it, but I am thinking of returning this, and getting some SWS's like I originally planned. I have all the time I need to fully evaluate things, so we'll see what the computer upgrade brings. A better sound card will be one thing.

(I dont have 1200 bucks just for a subwoofer)

----------------

On 12/19/2003 5:29:23 PM Point Blank wrote:

----------------

On 12/19/2003 4:15:48 PM GooseChaser wrote:

----------------

heheh, I was thinking for a second "How the hell did he know I bought a sub?" Then I read what I said above.
2.gif

Anyway, I got the Sony SAWM500. It was a 200 dollar home theater sub. I love how powerful it is. It absolutely shakes everything around it, but it doesnt carry the way I think it should. I hate to send it back, but I will if things dont improve when I upgrade the computer its hooked up to.

In the lil john song, my promedia 4.1s make the lowest bass hit carry incredibly far. I cant really describe it, but you would be able to tell the difference if you heard both subs.

Maybe its all because I have it hooked up to a computer. Not a good computer either. It has an old SB16 from creative. I am using the "line out" jack for the sub.

It kills me to think it, but I am thinking of returning this, and getting some SWS's like I originally planned. I have all the time I need to fully evaluate things, so we'll see what the computer upgrade brings. A better sound card will be one thing.

(I dont have 1200 bucks just for a subwoofer)

----------------

Oh my god, you bought a Sony WM500... That's a horrible subwoofer. For $200, return it and get two SWS. Unless you are going to put down ALL the money you originally stated into a real subwoofer, it would be very hard to find a subwoofer better than two SWS at $100 each.

----------------

On 12/19/2003 6:00:07 PM GooseChaser wrote:

Oh my god, you bought a Sony WM500... That's a horrible subwoofer. For $200, return it and get two SWS. Unless you are going to put down ALL the money you originally stated into a real subwoofer, it would be very hard to find a subwoofer better than two SWS at $100 each.

----------------

OH MY GOD I'M GOING TO DIE! It sounds just fine to me. The only issue I have with it is it doesnt seem to do a couple of songs justice. Maybe its the sound card I have it hooked into. Who knows. I want to try it out on a better soundcard first. Maybe it will make a difference. If not, back it goes, and I will use that money for other upgrades.