dynamic processor

jimbobo

If this thing is a Dynamic Range Expander I'd be VERY careful using it. What it does is looks at passages in the program (music) and if they are quiet this thing will make the passage quieter. While on the other hand at stronger passeages it will make them louder. There should be two adjustments on there (I think). One is to control the "Threshold" in which you can tell it where you draw the line between what passages are quiet and which are stronger. Then there is an "Expansion" control. This will let you control the intensity of the unit's action (i.e.-o.k., we have a loud passage here. How much louder would you like to make it?). DBX put these units out for many years although I doubt your came from them. Probably a knockoff in the function and design.

I'll get right to the part you may not want to hear. THESE THINGS ARE DEADLY TO KLIPSCH TWEETERS!!! I blew out three of them in my KLF-20's before I was convinced that my dbx 3BX Series Two was the problem. It worked fine in my system before I got the 20's since my old speaks had a sensitivity rating of about 80db (yechh!). But tweets in the Klipsch's are the weakest links in the chain. It doesn't take much distorted signal to fry-em.

What the unit does is just increase power voltage (and distort the amps output signal) to the speakers and this is where it gets into trouble. It will over drive the amp to point of clipping. That is "clipping" off the peak of the sign wave and converting it into a very high pitched distortion signal. Which no speaker likes. Result? Over driven speakers with the weakest driver giving up the ghost.

If you set this thing to very mild levels it MIGHT not hurt anything, but I wouldn't chance it. Anyway, at very mild levels you could probably barely tell it's working at all.

Oh well, you could either keep it as a nastalgia piece or... there's always eBay!

Good luck!

------------------

Tom

KLF-20 Mahogany

Carver C-1 (McIntosh C33 is coming!!)

Rotel RB-1080

Yamaha PF-800 Turntable/ Sure V15 Type V Cartridge

Ortofon VMS-30 Cartridge

Stanton 999SS Cartridge

Carver TL-3100 CD

Yamaha K-1020 Cassette (maybe being mothballed)

dbx 1231 EQ

H.H. Scott 830z Analyzer

Monster Interlink 400mk II

Monster Interlink 300 mk II

Studio Tech U-48RW Cabinet

Original 12ga. Monster Cable

This message has been edited by tblasing on 06-15-2001 at 10:59 PM

Jim,

O.k. The input (1-10) level is probably equal to the Threshold I mentioned before and the Expansion looks like it is measured in db increase increments. That expansion level is most likely gonna do the most damage if you use the unit. The LED level that is on it is probably in two different colors. The change in color denotes where it is makeing the signal quieter (left side?) and when it makes things louder. The point that the it goes from one color to another is the "Threshold" point.

I haven't sold anythig on eBay either but it may be worth looking into. I think eBay gets 3% of the total selling price for the item. I thought I saw a few months ago a listing for one of these. Maybe not the exact model but it sounds very similar. I don't think it went for much more than $50. But still that's more than you paid. You may want to do a search on eBay to see if you can find the sale of that similar item. Just type in the make and model.

I found a link for one on ebay, it's the same one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1244437025

I think I will keep it and use it for my turntable (when I get one), and set it to 4 or 7 dB's.

Do you (or anyone) know of a good turntable for, say $200, I really don't want to spend to much right now, as I don't have to many records at the moment.

------------------

My bedroom system:

TV: 27" Toshiba CZ27V51

YAMAHA RX-V596

YAMAHA CDC-575

TOSHIBA SD2109

KLF 10

soon to have RC-3

KSW-10

(soon to upgrade to 12)

POLK R10

My Father has a Yamaha linear tracking turntable, but I am not sure how much he wants for it. tbalasting is right on the money in regards to a dynamic range expander. I had a dbx before and found it to be quite destructive to tweeters. I'll get back to you on the turntable.

------------------

RF-3's : mains

RC-3 : center

RS-3's : surrounds

KSW-12: subwoofer

Receiver: Denon 2801

DVD: Panasonic DVD-A120

CD: Yamaha CDC-765

Cables: Tributaries

Sat Receiver: Hughes Direct-TV DD5.1

Jim,

Just remember, for every 3db of boosted signal you put into your tweeters you doubling the power input. Frightening but true.

Sorry I can't help ya with the turntable. I have a "vintage" Yamaha PF-800 belt drive that sounds wounderfull. It's a traditional tone arm configuration with a distinct feature. The tonearm is actually two seperate pipes to/from the headshell. They seperated left and right channels so to keep the intermodulation of channels down to a minimum.

If you want to look for something fun, a long time ago (20-25 years; yea I know this shows my age) there used to be upper scale turtables with up to four(4) tonearms in the same unit! This was so you could have a veriety of cartriges to suit your current listening taste. I have three for mine but I have to swap out the headshells when the notion moves me.

Sure V15 Type V w/VN45HE stylus- Good all around sound and rather quick. Also the most worn out!

Ortofon VMS-30 mkII- Still good range but for smoother "Barry White" evenings.

Stanton 999SS- For when some of my oger friends come over to play their K-Tel era Slim Whitman's Favorite Yodleing Songs. Known as the Godzilla Bicept Claw.

------------------

Tom

KLF-20 Mahogany

Rotel RB-1080

Ortofon VMS-30 Cartridge

Stanton 999SS Cartridge

Carver TL-3100 CD

dbx 1231 EQ

H.H. Scott 830z Analyzer

This message has been edited by tblasing on 06-15-2001 at 11:03 PM

t, wonder if that 4 arm was to comply w/ the ole quadraphonic cartridge. & after quad flopped they all said stereo only was here for good. whoops guess i just showed my age 2 Biggrin.gif

i still get pretty good results from old technics direct drive w/ audio technica cart. shouldn't have practically given away the technics belt-drive w/ that nice stanton cart.

glad u mentioned cartridges. a lot to be said for the quality of cartridge for the sound quality.

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnects & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics direct drive turntable

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

Boa,

Sumpin' tells me you got an SL-1200 mkII. Those things a real tanks. If memory serves those will get up to speed in 1/4 of a turn of the platter!

When I was in Audio retail about 20 years ago a co-worker claimed he had the "Ultimate" system. Yea, that's all opinion. Anyway he did tell me of a Pioneer turntable that you could lift the whole unit by it's tonearm! You could also put the table on the floor, stand on the platter and it would still get up to speed as (as long as you didn't loose your lunch!).

------------------

Tom

KLF-20 Mahogany

Rotel RB-1080

Ortofon VMS-30 Cartridge

Stanton 999SS Cartridge

Carver TL-3100 CD

dbx 1231 EQ

H.H. Scott 830z Analyzer

Stuff in storage:

Technics SB-7's mains

Technics SB-3's rears

Yamaha NS-W2 sub

Teac V-33 cassette

Technics RSM-236 cassette

dbx nx-40

dbx 3BX Series Two

dbx 200

Carver MX-150

Numark EQ-2300 (LOL)

Archer (Radio Shack) FM booster

Enough boxes for a fire hazard.

t, only have the SL-1950 w/ AT LS500 cartridge. actually got it for $10 at a garage sale. is rather tankish looking. thanks- i now updated it on my signature list below. hadn't bothered to even look at the models on those Biggrin.gif

yea my 1st was a garrard w/ a shure cart from wherehouse sound co. in san luis obispo, CA. opted for that over the bsr.

& 1st purchase ever was mail order. no net back then- my pc woulda been bigger than the office room here. also got a sansui integrated amp(15WX2) & EV bookshelves(8" woofs). 1st taste of high-fi bliss.

the turntable was the show source component then. well unless u could afford a teac reel to reel tape deck.

then came the 8-track & cassette decks. ahhh the memories. cwm32.gif

------------------

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Monster MCX Biwires

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

Sega Genesis game player

rock on!

oh yea i remember seeing the DAK ads in my stereo review & high fidelity mags. those disco days are gone but not forgotten (well, except for the disco music). Wink.gif

------------------

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Monster MCX Biwires

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

Sega Genesis game player

rock on!

Sorry for the slow response, I've been busy. Jeff George I'd be interested in the turntable u can email me at jg1587@hotmail.com. tblansing do you know where I could find a Sure V15 Type V w/VN45HE cart/stylus. Thanks everyone for the input.

------------------

My bedroom system:

TV: 27" Toshiba CZ27V51

YAMAHA RX-V596

YAMAHA CDC-575

TOSHIBA SD2109

KLF 10

soon to have RC-3

KSW-10

(soon to upgrade to 12)

POLK R10

Jim,

There's a few different places you can get this. Although I don't think the same stylus is available anymore. The closest thing would be a V15 Type VxMR for about $275. There's a couple of places I found in Stereophile magazine. There's http://www.needledoctor.com in Minnesota and http://www.acousticsounds.com in Kansas. They are priced the same.

------------------

Tom

KLF-20 Mahogany

McIntosh C33 (Carver C-1 for sale?)

Rotel RB-1080

Ortofon VMS-30 Cartridge

Stanton 999SS Cartridge

Carver TL-3100 CD

dbx 1231 EQ

H.H. Scott 830z Analyzer

This message has been edited by tblasing on 06-15-2001 at 11:08 PM