How do Klipschorns compare with KLF30s?

Kman

I currentlyown the KLF30s, KLFc7 with KSPs6 surrounds. In the future I want to uppgrade my system and was wondering if the Khorns were good for hometheater and if so, what do you use for center and surrounds? I have never heard the sound of the Khorns and was wondering how they compare with the KLF30s sound? any suggestions or ideas appreciated

Kman

Wild guess.

But I think the K-Horns are probobly alot better than the KLF-30's

As for what to use as a Center with them.... Go with a La Scala

And surrounds, Heresys. or 2 more La Scalas.

But thats will cost you a pretty penny.

------------------

Living Room:

Yamaha Natural Sound A-500 Stereo Amplifier

2 Klipsch Heresys on A switch

2 Fisher STV-873 on B switch

My Room:

Klipsch Pro Medias

2 Fisher Surrounds

Klipschorns would work great in a HT set-up. Klipsch recommends the Belle Klipsch for center channel duty, although the la scala would work just as well; it just would not match as well appearance-wise. Even the cornwall or heresy could be used, too. And some people use a "traditional" center speaker, such as the old KLF-C7, as it is much easier to fit into a typical HT layout. And they seem to be happy with the results. So is that confusing enough?cwm44.gif

I think if you like the KLF-30 sound, you would like the klipschorn sound even more IF you have a good room for them.

------------------

JDMcCall

James: So, the Belle over the La Scala for Center?

Kman: How big is your rooom?

James: The Belle, and Scala, would give alot better match than a regular center, like the KLF-C7, wouldnt it?

------------------

Living Room:

Yamaha Natural Sound A-500 Stereo Amplifier

2 Klipsch Heresys on A switch

2 Fisher STV-873 on B switch

My Room:

Klipsch Pro Medias

2 Fisher Surrounds

Yes Klipschorns make a great Home Theater speakercwm35.gif

But then i would say that because that's what I use.

The KLF-C7 would work just fine as a center as will the KSP-S6's for surrounds.

DWK,IMHO the La Scala makes a better center for use with the K-Horns for HT use.The only difference between them and K-Horns is the K-Horns go 10dB deeper in the bass end.The Belle sqauwker(mid)and network(crossover)are different than those in the LS and K-Horn.The Belle is a nicer looking speaker for use with the Horns.Just my oppinion

cwm1.gif

Check out my home page and you will see what I've done using a Heresy for my center.

------------------

Main HT:'77 Klipschorns w/ALKs,'75 Heresy center,modified with,K-Horn sqauwker & AA network.

KSP-S6 at sides 2 KSP-S6's rear.

Denon AVR-3801

2 Denon POA-2800 200X2

1 driving the Horns

1 driving the bi-wired Heresy center.

2 DIY 12"4ohm subs,Carver A500x 400 watts per ch.feed.

1 12" powered sub(behind the couch)feed from the surrounds pre-outs.

Sony DVP-C650D.Dish Echostar 4700 w/DD

JVC S7600U S-VHS

Pioneer CDL-D501 laser

Music in "Direct"only!

DH Labs T-14 speaker wire to the front 3.

Bed room HT:KSB 2.1 mains,SC-1,SS-1's,2 SW 8 II subs.

2 Heresy's for music.

Denon AVR-2800,Dishnetwork,Sony SLV-975HF VCR,Panasonic DVD-RV31.

I was once told that the bass sound of the K-horn is like sitting inside of the cabinet. It is a much smoother bass sound, albeit not as low as the current LFE specs call for.

The LaScalas and Belles are K-horn substitutes for those without corners in their rooms. The original, and probably still the best, center for the K-horns and derivatives is the Cornwall. It used the same horns. When you are inside of the cabinet, you don't really need to "match" the bass. The Chorus and Forte improved on the Cornwall design, but used different horns. All three are obsolete. The only thing left that will match is a huge, flat wall K-horn derivative. The Heresy is just a bit too weak in the dB area to match.

I would only prefer the belle personally, for asthetic reasons. Sonically, the la scala could give a closer match, but most people (myself included) think the la scala and the belle sound pretty much alike. True enough though, the belle does use a different horn on the mid driver, and a crossover from woofer to mid at 500hz instead of 400hz. And yes, either one would match k-horns mutch better than a KLF-C7 or an RC-7.

------------------

JDMcCall

Thanks for the replys guys, I appreciate it. As for the room, it doesn,t exist- Yet. I am buying some land, and plan on building the house, so the room size of the home theater is yet to be determined, but I would like it to be at least 17 x 24 if possible. I'm not sure if the Khorns would be overkill. Another thing I was concerned about is using direct radiating speakers for the surrounds, (especially in a 7.1 setting) instead of Dipole type like the KSPs6 or the newer ones coming out. Then I have to determine what finish to get on the speakers- not sure which ones would look the best. Anybody have some nice pictures of theirs?

Kman

for a 7.1 set, imo use wdst type (s6) for side surrounds & directs(like your klf-30) for the rear surround. though depends on the room size, demensions, lay-out, source equipment & of course tastes. cwm1.gif

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnects & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics direct drive turntable

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

This message has been edited by boa12 on 06-12-2001 at 05:13 PM