How will the 5.1's hook up?

twm1010

As I understand it a 5.1 System has 6 connections. Fronts L&R, Rears L&R, Center, and Subwoofer. Now.... does this mean the 5.1's will have 4 cords? I mean it took me a while (and some fiddling) to understand how this thing would hook up to my SBLive! 5.1. As I understand it, when set to Analog 5.1 the Sound Blaster live puts out fronts, rears, and then, on a single cable, but still seperate signals, center and sub out! Soo.... as I can figure it this new Klipsch 5.1 is going to have these four connectors. The fronts and rears will plug in like the 4.1's and the other two cords, sub and center, will have an adapter that plugs into the Center/Sub Out. Now of course i bring this up because not everyone uses the sblive, for instance the hercules game theater HAS all 6 outputs. what then? thats what i said there would HAVE to be an adapter to accomodate the live! and not the other way around.

Now if anyone understood this, particularly amy, can you confirm?

Also, any word on an upgrade program from 4.1 -> 5.1?

Tom

AIM:Benge5X

Right now I have the v2s and have two Y-splitters for the front and rear connectors (green and pink) connecting direct to my dvd player. I can see that for the new 5.1s, which I most definitely are going to upgrade to, where the heck would I plug the sub/center channel into?

The front l/r and rear l/r inputs of the dvd player are taken up. There are A/V inputs for center and sub. Do I have to buy another Y splitter for the sub/center channels? Will that even work? Help!! I don't want my dreams of owning the 5.1s shattered because I can't hook it up to my dvd player!

Heh, if your DVD player has 1 connection for sub/centre, and the connectors on the 5.1s for the sub/centre are seperate, then just get an adapter cable that'll take both RCA signals and makes them one signal. Like I said before, no biggie.

Ahh I was just confused a little bit, but as i still understand it then, the Klipsch's are DESIGNED for the SBLive! Card. I mean its not a "combined" center channel and sub signal. When you plug a stereo cable into that jack whatever is "Left" is the Center, and whatever is "Right" goes to the sub, or vice versa. Which of course then a Y adapter will split it correctly for those with one of those other sound cards that probably work better. Smile.gif I gotcha, thanks Amy.

tom

A certain Amy has told me some great news. They will be putting out a new Digital Decoder for all promedias that will put out 2.1, 4.1, 5.1 sound, maybe even 6.1 etc, she did not say... But it will cost $90 and plug into your digital out soundcard, so you will not have to buy a new sound card or lose the benifit of a center channel/sub plug. This might even be used as a very sophistacated Y connecter... I really do not know what all the specs are but it should be great. Hey, and if anyone read my prediction about the new Klipsch's, I am right in every part of my prediction, if I remember right... I must be psycic.

here is what i predicted...

http://216.37.9.58/ubb/Forum10/HTML/003750.html

not perfect, but hey, i have not really tried out my powers to their full potential yet... LoL

Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

http://www.fortunecity.com/campus/berry/88/

What else will this $90 decoder do? I personally don't think it's worth spending that much money for just a decoder when you can get the SB Live! 5.1 OEM card for $65 shipped:

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/sc-102-110.html

From what I understand this card is all you need to get the correct conenctions to the Klipsch ProMedia 5.1's and for a lot of people it would be a worthy upgrade anyway. I'm still interested in what the decoder is supposed to do cause for $90 I image it's got some more features that might make the whole package more convenient.

-poch

ps - what the hell is up with all these crazy smilies???cwm44.gif

• Moderators

You are correct, the decoder would not be necessary with a high-end 5.1 digital card. It would mainly be for connecting the pros to a digital output device, such as a DVD player or Playstation 2.

More details will be available soon!!

------------------

Amy

ProMedia Tech Support

promediatech@klipsch.com