boston Acoustic trade up. Which sub now?

firefighter

I currently have a Boston Acoustic pv600 with a Yamaha rxv-630, Heresy II fronts, and kg2 rears with a 50" rptv. I bought the sub from Tweeter and can do an upgrade and get full credit for money paid for it. The only subs they sell are Boston Acoustic, Mirage, Velodyne, and Martin Logan, the later not being an option because of the price. I'm looking to spend about $600 on the next sub. Tweeter has the Boston Acoustic pv 900 or the Velodyne dls 4000, which would take me from a 10" to a 12" sub. All opinions are needed.

Thanks,

Jack.

That would be $600 total, there is so much that I want, it's going to be a slow long process getting there. This Tweeter deal may not be the best economically but it makes it possible to upgrade without a depreciation of the product so I gotta do what I gotta do, however I will probably upgrade again in less than a year or so.

I looked at the Velodyne cht 15, I never considered a 15'" would this be overkill. I have a Yamaha rxv-630 75 pwc receiver, with this size, and not driving the sub hard, could I still get tight base for music as well as lows for movies. I'm guessing I will probably need an additional amp for the sub. Can I get away with doing that later? If so then I would consider the cht-15 as my system will continue to grow, just want to be happy with what I do as I go. Thanks for the input.

Jack.

----------------

On 12/29/2003 9:02:11 AM firefighter wrote:

I looked at the Velodyne cht 15, I never considered a 15'" would this be overkill. I have a Yamaha rxv-630 75 pwc receiver, with this size, and not driving the sub hard, could I still get tight base for music as well as lows for movies. I'm guessing I will probably need an additional amp for the sub. Can I get away with doing that later? If so then I would consider the cht-15 as my system will continue to grow, just want to be happy with what I do as I go. Thanks for the input.

Jack.
----------------

You don't need an additional amp for the CHT-15, it has a built in 300W amp. You can see from this list it does quite well compared to higher priced subwoofers.

Here's a recent review of it done by Tom Nousaine.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=478&page_number=5