Trouble?

mungkiman

I would like to A/B between K33-P's and E's, and I'm wondering if any harm would come from disconnecting the tweeter and midrange wires from the AA crossover and playing the woofers by themselves. If I need to wire a resistor in, help with values would be appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Chris

I would counsel that you do set up some "dummy load" resistors on the outputs of the crossover. These should be 8 or 10 ohm resistors. Either would be okay and may depend what you have on hand or can buy at Radio Shack. The 5 watt type would be good.

Bob G pointed out some time ago that there is a potential problem. The un-terminated crossovers will present a dead short to the amp at some frequencies.

Certainly this is true of the third order cross over of the tweeter circuit.

I suspect this is also true of the circuit with the autotransformer in the midrange. It acts like a first order with a load on the circuit. My guess is that without a load, the inductance of the autotransformer will come into play and again, present a near short at some frequency.

I don't doubt that people have done testing without terminations. Most modern amps will shut down, having protection circuitry.

None the less, I think there is some risk to both the amp and the crossover components if you run things without terminations.

I some times wonder about some reports we get where the amp has failed and some speaker has failed. The common wisdom is that the amp, in its dying seconds, sent some transient to the speaker, and blew out components.

But maybe it happened the other way. The driver(s) blew, the crossover circuit presented a short (again in a limited frequency range), and took out the amp, and maybe some inductors in the crossover.

I may be a Casandra. None the less, it is just good practice to keep circuitry loaded as it was meant to be. It makes for a better control group, if nothing else.

Best,

Gil