horns for center chanel

BRUCE A. GALICIA

I wont to build A center chanel with a pair of horns and tweeters from cornwells or heresys. how do you think it would it sound would i need a sub? if so what size and stuff, any suggustions on how i can do this and make sound good.box size? i wont birch or oak plywood to mach my cornwells(1976)and heresys(1977) not m.d.f.. how much can i exspect to pay a set of horns and tweets? any hints, tips or pointers will be a big help.

thanks,

bruce galicia

I built my center using 2-Klipsch KV1089 10" woofers out of the RF7's, T35 horn tweeter(aka k77), and a K52 midrange horn with the 90°x60° Tractrix® Horn out of a KLF30. The crossover is a 3-way, 2nd order (12dB) crossover with a 3 octave spread between crossover points. Metallized polypropylene capacitors are used in critical midrange and tweeter signal paths. 18 gauge inductors are used to keep DC resistance to a minimum. crossover points are 700/5600.

The cabinet is 42"w x 13,5"h x 15"d. Also has 2 4" ports in the rear. Cabinet is made out of 3/4" oak plywood with complete internal bracing and wired with 12 gauge monster cable.

This was built to compliment my La Scala's. Since I have a RP big screen another La Scala for the center would not work. I have been very please with the sound quality form this. If you are interested I would be happy to email constuction pics to you.

Keep in mind that mine is very large and is heavy, about 100lbs.

post-8797-13819250848378_thumb.jpg

Well - the following link shows my center In the fist several shots:

http://home.earthlink.net/~hwatkins/id63.htm

To answer as best I can - Tweeter and mid are from Heresy and Xover is E1 (with slight mod). I had to pick up pairs of drivers, xover and lens and then sell the remaining. There are buyers for the singles and the price for pairs is much less expensive than singles. I paid (per pair) $120 for tweeter, $150 for mid and $60 for Xover off Ebay - they show up regularly.

Box size and design is dependent on the chosen woofer/mid woofer. I went with a pair of Fostex 167 Sigmas in parallel to get the appropriate efficiency with very little Xover mods (based on the T/S for the speakers). Several free design tools can give you the internal box volume - I used a comination of WinISD, Boxplot and Unibox.

As to a sub - depending on how you build for your woofs, but I think both the Heresy and Cornwalls benefit from sub assistance in HT applications. This also helps on any size limitations (as I had) in building a good LF box.

They sound great - good tone and timbre match to my other 4 heresy...

My take on your question does not include any bass or midbass drivers at all. Just mid and tweeter horns? Is this correct? Vocal reproductions need a midbass driver.

Most center designs actually include 2 of them.

Happy hunting and please ignor my ?'s, if I jumped to conclusions.

I am building a center channel also. Although I don't have pictures yet, it will look similar to scooterdog's. Mine is 3/4MDF with Heresy II mid and tweeter and two 8" Fostex full range. I'm not sure the Fostex was the best choice but so far they sound better than what I had (don't ask). Drivers are readily available on ebay, these will be your biggest cost. The next highest cost will be the crossover parts. If you buy quality caps (auricap, hovland...) then expect to pay >$100 for the complete crossover. The wood will be the least expensive. If you have a good lumber yard in your area with a mill, get them to do the cuts. I paid an extra $10 for all the cuts, less the circles and it was worth every penny. I plan to cover the MDF on the sides and top with real wood birch laminate, this will cost an extra $40 for the roll. I've used it before to repair a water stain on my LaScala. It goes on easy and looks close to the original. Another $50 could be spent on screws, ports, terminals, wire, solder, polyfill/fiberglass... Lastly, if you don't have all the tools (drills, hole cutter, soldering iron...) then add another $50-100 into your budget. One thing I like about DIY projects is I always have more tools when I'm done. It's important to have the right tool for the job.

One piece of advice, buy only shielded drivers, unless your speaker will be several feet away from your TV. I am having trouble getting rid of the megnetic discoloration on my picture tube. I have found that bucking magnets and DIY steel shielding is more time and money than the extra cost of shielded drivers.

Look back in a few days and I will post pics and cost sheet.

Good Luck!1.gif