Newport Jazz Festival Tour

3dzapper

Should be nice, I suggest hearing from the water raft up with a boat or sail by, I took a daytime a harbor sailing cruise (at J-World) and floated past the rafted boats on a gentle breeze with saxophones stiring the air quite nice, wish we had a glass of wine! 2.gif

Colin,

Been there, done that. It is just too nerve racking with all those boats and some joker with three sheets to the wind (literally and figuratively)decides he wants to sail on through the fleet. Bouncing off one boat then another. True story. That made my stay away from all such events with my boat: tall ships, airshows,concerts, fireworks,etc.

By the way these concerts are indoors.

Rick

• 4 weeks later...

Just got in from the concert. Great!9.gif The musicians were: James Mooney on sax who once played in Dizzy's band; Cedar Wilson on piano; Randy Brecker on trumpet formerly with Blood Sweat and Tears; Howard Alden on guitar who has sat in on many famous recordings; Lewis Nash drumswho has toured with Betty Carter and Sonny Rollins; Holding the bottom on bass was Peter Washington; and on sax a young man,25, James Carter who stole the show with a virtouso preformance. He has several Cds out and I am now listening to his latest, "Chasin The Gypsy".

They played a few of their own songs but mostly covered performers in the fifty year history of the Newport Jazz Festival.

If this tour is coming to a hall near you I recommend it.

The Roberts Hall at Rhode Island College is a small, 300 seat auditorium with an excellant house system. I learned from one of the techs that they use JBL drivers and horns and Crown amps. I complement them, it sounded as good as my system!1.gif

Rick

Lucky to live right there! Saw some good stuff in Montreal and Florence, Italy (but missed Ornette Coleman in Rome). Some good stuff comes around the Triangle area in NC but not as much as it used to. WE have some local jazz clubs here but the prices have gotten NYC style. Percy Heath opened a club about five miles from my place and has some good stuff roll through.

Man, you are so lucky to have that stuff so near.

btw, Rick, check the other HH Scott thread.

Getting ready to hook the Linn LP-12 to the 299B.

kh

ps- Colin, you sail?

It was nice out tonight, rather warm at 24 F and once again the weatherman was wrong in predicting heavy snow. The false prediction kept a third of the audience home.

TV weatherman has to be the best job in the world. Where else can you be wrong 50% of the time and still make a hundred grand a year?

Rick