Sub volume vs. other speakers, how do you set it?

rdfish1

I followed the SVS manual which said set sub at appx 6 db above the rest of your speakers (if spkrs are at 75 db, set sub at 81 when volume is at reference). However, I have found the base/sub to be less impressive unless i set it even higher. I know to a large extent it is personal preference, but I am interested in knowing how many of you set the sub relative to the other speakers when watching movies and/or listening to music.

By the way, my new svs is the 20-39 pci

Thx.

Every time I check the EQ and volume settings on my Klipsch subs, I find that I have them way-too-high for a flat and accurate frequency response, sometimes as much as 20dB over the normal listening level guess I just like that bass with the movies! If you use a Test CD and a SPL meter to find out where flat really is with your home movie and music reproduction system, you will not hear much from the subs until a really big or deep passage comes along. Most of the time the subs will stand silent, until the big tympani weigh in or a gunshot goes off.

On my three-channel set-up, here is what I do for action movies. First, I find the cable movie, then I set the volume of the TV loudspeakers at the level I want (usually a voice track). Next I set the two outside main loudspeakers, my classic Klipsch corner Khorns, to match the TV volume (just enough so where I can hear the sound effects from the side). Then I dial up the sub volume so that I can hear it make a difference in the sound, while I am at the sub. Just enough to add to the bass, not more so. This balances the sound between all four loudspeakers (subs included). It gives a good sounding center channel (since the loudspeakers define the sound better than the TV, gives me the side effects (from the loudspeakers) and the bass boom (from the subs).

6.gif

----------------

On 12/31/2003 9:36:21 AM Colin wrote:

Then I dial up the sub volume so that I can hear it make a difference in the sound, while I am at the sub. Just enough to add to the bass, not more so.

----------------

This is what I exactly do most of the time because I dont own for the moment a callibration disk. 9.gif

Contact (e-mail) Tom V at SVS for help calibrating your sub. If you calibrate it too hot you run a risk of damaging the driver. However, since you are using 75db as base SPL for the mains, the risk is low. Anyhow better safe than sorry, and since really excellent support is available, why not use it. Best of luck!

----------------

On 12/31/2003 6:03:24 AM rdfish1 wrote:

I followed the SVS manual which said set sub at appx 6 db above the rest of your speakers (if spkrs are at 75 db, set sub at 81 when volume is at reference). However, I have found the base/sub to be less impressive unless i set it even higher. I know to a large extent it is personal preference, but I am interested in knowing how many of you set the sub relative to the other speakers when watching movies and/or listening to music.

By the way, my new svs is the 20-39 pci

Thx.

----------------

Where does SVS say to calibrate the sub 6dB hot?

As a starting point, the sub should always be calibrated to the same level as your other speakers, then you can adjust to taste. Are you using a disc to calibrate or your receiver's test tones?