RF-3 vs. SP-1

dqh

dgh:

The SP-1's (part of the Synergy family) were designed for a person who does not, cannot or will not work with a separate subwoofer due to the WAF (wife acceptance factor), lack of room for a separate sub, or no desire to work with the separate connections of a separate sub. There is nothing wrong with this, there are many who are in one of these situations. For them, a speaker with a built-in sub works and sounds great!

The RF-3's (part of the Reference family) do not have, of course, the built-in sub. (RP-3's and RP-5's do). Many who have the extra space, extra money or no WAF to worry about choose these and then, maybe, add a seperate subwoofer.

The best thing to do, if possible, is to demo both in your listening area and decide, but between those 2 models, you should hear more highs in the RF-3's and louder bass in the SP-1's

PhilH,

Thanks for the response. Luckily I don't have the WAF issue with bass. : )

I have a chance to listen to the SP-1's (liked a lot) at a local store and no avail. to the RF-3. Local dealer wants $1,100/pair for the SP-1 and that's where I have the WAF problem. : (

I'm trying to find a good price for the SP-1's on the net but not much luck. I see more of the RF-3's, but never listen to it before. So, I'm a little hesitant.

If the WAF is OK with bass and antzy about $$, the SP-1's look like they might be the way to go for you. The RF-3's are nice, but they don't have that built-in sub and if you like bass, you'd probably spend more money in the long run adding a separate subwoofer with them.

• 5 years later...

I have not heard the SP-1's, so I can't comment on those. I can comment on the RF-3II's. I think they are perhaps the best value in the referance line. They sound great and DO have very good bass. I also have the RF-7's, which I love. I am thinking about getting another pair of RF-7's (to replace my 3's at the surround position) and using my RF-3's in a 2 channel set-up.

I 2nd what Phil says, I own the 3's, and they are very capable speakers. They are not quite as large sounding as the 7's, but take the 7's out of the room and you look at the 3's and wonder "all that sound from them?"

For music I didn't use a sub with the 3's, but give them ht detail and you may want to. Deep explosions, any deep lingering bass will send them searching, but again, for 2 channel, they hold their own.