"New" old toys

GRB

Ok guys, after much consideration and advice from T2K (Keith) I went on a search for a set of Klipsch KSP-400's. I had KSP-300's in front of my HT and had been considering upgrading and moving the 300's to the rear. After searching some old posts on the forum, I took a shot and sent a P.M. to Birdied 17 who had offered a set of 400's on the forum back in July. Wonder of wonders, he still had the 400's for sale. We traded e-mails a few times and finally settled on a fair price for both of us. I received the 400's today! After allowing them to "thaw" for a while. (It was 7 degrees here in DC today and the speakers were sitting on a loading dock when I picked them up) I spent the afternoon wiring up the 400's in front and moving my 300's to the rear position to replace the KSP-S5's. After a few tweaks in placement, I fired up the CD player and "Boom", the 400's came to life. All I can say is WOW! These boys pack a punch. I immediately noticed a tremendous increase in mid and low bass with a noticeable increase in soundstage presence. I spent the rest of the day listening to music and watching movies with the wife. What a difference the 400's made. In addition, moving the 300's to the rear to replace the S5's made a huge differnece. (You were right Keith). Well, I am now one happy camper and I just wanted to thank T2K and Birdied 17. Couldn't be happier. Wish I had done this a long time ago. Went on too long here, just couldn't resist.

----------------

On 1/11/2004 12:29:08 AM GRB wrote:

I received the 400's today! After allowing them to "thaw" for a while. (It was 7 degrees here in DC today and the speakers were sitting on a loading dock when I picked them up)

----------------

What part of D.C. are you in? I am not to terribly far away in Fredericksburg, VA. Would love to hear those KSP's myself.

Glad you are happy with your "new" setup, and that is all that really counts!

About the cold - yeah, tell me about it! I was just out last night skiing at Massanutten, and it was cold out there!

Not very often do we get this cold of weather here in Virginia, although I can certainly remember this kind of weather being typical in Wisconsin and Northern PA, both of where I used to live!

Glad to hear you are happy with your purchase. I think very few people here have ever heard the Synergy Premiere's. They are without question the best Klipsch I have ever heard. And they are not harsh and do not require tweeks and excuses like the Heritage. They work equally well for HT and for multichannel music. They do not overcome the room (audibly or visually) like the Heritage and are somewhat 'room friendly', unlike the big boxes.

Four of the Synergy Premiere towers, a center, and a pair of S-6's make one heck of an ear friendly setup. Without the grit of the Heritage. No soldering iron needed.

Congratulations to you. I know you'll enjoy them.

Keith

One more thing. Get a KSP-C6 center. I have had a couple of the C-5's and they are good centers. But the C-6 will seem to disappear with the 400's in your front soundstage. The sound of the C-6 will not bark at you 'I am here' like other center speakers. You just will not notice it. A perfect match. Well worth the investment IMO.

Keith

Keith,

I am keeping my eyes peeled for a C-6. I just missed one a couple of weeks ago on e-bay, but I had not done the deal on the 400's so I wasn't sure I wanted to take the chance. Like they say, timing is everything. If you hear of one available, please let me know. I agree, I think these KSP's are about as good as it gets. I have a Bro-in-law with a set of Cornwalls and they are something, but I think I like the KSP's so much because of their ability to be so good at HT and two channel music. Thanks for the advice and tech info about yours.

Rob

Steven,

I actually live in Mt. Airy, MD. About 25 miles west of Columbia on I-70. Would love to let you hear the KSP's sometime. Maybe when it warms up a little this spring we could play a round of golf ( I live on a course) and then check out the Klipsch. By the way, how do you like the Rf-7's? I have heard them in a couple of stereo shops and they sounded outstanding to me.