Does anybody have a DVD burner

T_Shomaker

----------------

On 1/11/2004 12:16:47 PM T_Shomaker wrote:

I really want to be able to duplicate movies from blockbuster with a DVD burner. Before I buy one I was wondering if they still have the same picture quality as a store bought DVD and if they play in progressive scan.

----------------

I don't know about the picture quality, as I don't have a DVD burner myself yet. However, whether somethingn plays in progressive scan is a function of the player, not the DVD. There is no special format on the DVD to tell it to be played in progressive scan. Any DVD, whether it is a burned copy or a store-bought original, should be able to be played in progressive scan, provided the player is capable (which just about any modern player other then the ultra-cheap $50 Wally*World specials is capable).

I should also warn you that it may not always work. I have a 4 speed DVD burner on my Macintosh G5, but the only blank DVD's you can buy are only up to 4.7GB. That means movies over 2 hours probably won't fit. Another issue is that if the DVD is encoded with multiple surround sound formats, that would take up even more space. And lastly, many DVD's have piracy protected encryption of sorts, as I've tried buring some movies I rented from Blockbuster, and most turn out unsuccessful.

Oh, and also the fact that it's a wee bit illegal. 1.gif

I have a friend that has done this. nicholtl is right about the size problem. Most pro disks are double layer, & the current burners will not do this yet. In this case, he uses a compression program so it will now fit on one disk. Of the compressed ones he has shown me, the picture is still very good, but with disks priced at an average of $15, I would much rather have the original. However direct copies look just like the original.

Now add in the price of the software, the burner, & the blank disks, & you could easily go out & buy about 50 DVD's.

And yes, there is that bit about it being a "wee bit illegal."

The movie industry makes it difficult to duplicate DVDs. The most certain method is to use a hard disk recorder off of a sat. receiver. Up to 120 gigabytes are available. The high definition hard drive recorder will have 240 gigs.

Stand alone DVD burners are limited to two channel Dolby Digital. When the sat receiver's hard drive isused as a source, near perfect DVDs can be produced with 2 channel sound.

The capability of producing 5.1 sound on a computer DVD burner is achieved with software that is designed for piracy. It would not surprise me to see the industry try to prosecute folks that make high quality copies that are illegal. The folks in the movie industry are the same as those in the RIAA, hence the prediction of the similar behavior.

Bill

Well I have A06 and often shrink the disks into a dvd, I like to collect those dvd boxes but my bookshelf was full within 2weeks after i bought it 9.gif . Well as Ear said it's just for personal use(once you sold it it's illegal, people all around me don't even watch DVD or have DVD rom in their computer, so crap). check out vcdhelp.com may give you some clue 9.gif

----------------

On 1/11/2004 1:37:43 PM MrMcGoo wrote:

The most certain method is to use a hard disk recorder off of a sat. receiver. Up to 120 gigabytes are available. The high definition hard drive recorder will have 240 gigs.

Stand alone DVD burners are limited to two channel Dolby Digital. When the sat receiver's hard drive isused as a source, near perfect DVDs can be produced with 2 channel sound.

----------------

I have to second what MrMcGoo states, as I have been watching this. I have a DTiVo, which is a TiVo with a directv sat receiver built in. It has the ability to record the 5.1 soundtrack to the HD for playback later, & an optical out for my receiver. A stand-alone TiVo has no digital input.

I have over 50 movies on my TiVo with 5.1 that I would like to burn to disk, however there is currently no way for me to get the 5.1 sound into the computer for burning.

The combo TiVo-dvd burners also are not able to do the 5.1 sound. And as I said above, the price still kills it anyway. The Pioneer TiVo-DVD combo is $800. That buys a heck of a lot of DVD's.

You can take the hard drive out of the tivo and put in your computor and burn them with DD5.1. You are able to copy dvd's with software and it works great. You can fit most movies on one disc without the menus. Picture Quility is perfect. It is not legal though and I only make copies of my sons movies WHICH I OWN. This way when you scratches them so bad they won't play I can make another copy of the store bought copy. Dual layer burner are going to be out the second quartor of 04. It may be worth waiting for. And who nows if you will be able to do the same thing with the new HD dvds.

Easy... Thanks for the heads up. I just hit the TiVo forums for the first time in a while, & your right.... They are doing extraction now.

Also, there is a program being released in the fall of 04 that will work with the series 2 TiVo's to pull data from the network connection to be played or burned on any computer. I may have to go out and get a series 2 now!

Yahoo news

Thanks!