my onkyo won't decode DD or DTS!?

Just1n20

so i got my SVS 25-31CS and tried hooking it up to my Onkyo TX-SR500. all is good with music, so why not try DTS and Dolby Digital? my receiver wouldn't let me decode DTS when i didnt have a sub so i assumed you needed a sub hooked up and now i'd be able to right?...no, tried From Hell and Seven in DTS just to make sure it decoded and no.. tried not using DTS and just watching a movie in DD, but it wouldn't let me. i made sure i went by the manual but it did nothing to help. i can use Pro LogicII but it won't play anything in DolbyDigital or DTS. anyone help? i use an optical input.

----------------

On 1/14/2004 3:51:54 PM AUTiger wrote:

Do you need to connect them with using an optical cable or digital coax?

I think that my Denon requires that.

Davi

----------------

Actually, optical or digital coax is required on all digital receivers to read DTS or Dolby Digital. He did mention that he is using an "optical input."3.gif

ya it was an amatuer problem... dvd settings were on PCM15.gif im embarassed. at least now i get to enjoy fight club, from hell, saving private ryan, and all the others without using prologicII1.gif

oh ya, and i heard coaxial is better the optical? right now my highs and bass(a smudge) seem a little laid back... my setup is below.. think a good coax cable from bettercables or cobalt would help? or could it be my shotty half-@$$ed dvd player?

You will hear different things. Some say Optical is better, some say digital coax is better, either way is better than analog and both types have there +'s & -'s. I figured it was you not changing the input on your receiver or on your DVD player. Gave you the benefit of the doubt though. LOL I didn't know at first either until my salesman told me when he sold me a fiber optic cable. Take care. 2.gif

i wouldn't say i have great ears at all, just picky ones.. i mean i use a few personal cds of mine as reference cd's when choosing my equipment. granted i have a moderately broad range of music taste, i have my primary listening to compare with and it has worked out all right for me. i tried hookin up my brother's sony str-de485(got it from $130 new from some clearance online for xmas) and even though the price difference is only $100 retail, the difference was evident, even my brother noticed. bass was not as tight as it is and my brother noticed, highs seemed like they were more extended and very bright and harsh. so i guess i'm asking if the difference is as obvious as that or if it is more subtle.

"With the use of an optical cable istead of a coax, there is zero chance of a ground loop being formed between components."

Or of RF noise being transmitted from one to the other. Of course if you also run any sort of video cable between the two components then ground loops and RF noise can be transmitted that way.

Shawn