Sumiko Blue Point MC "whine" question...

Jon Anderson

I just got my turntable back from the local high end stereo shop with a newly installed Sumiko Blue Point moving coil cartridge.

To my dismay I hear a faint very high pitched (12-16Khz?) "whine". Dealer said to expect a burn in period but this may be unacceptable.

Has anyone experienced a similar whine with new cartridge?

Thanks

That sounds to be an oscillation problem.

Disconnect the TT from the amp completely. Does the whine disappear ?

If not the problem is in the amp.

If so reconnect the TT being sure to connect the TT's ground properly.

If the problem persists you might try a different cartridge.

This problem will not be corrected by "break-in". Regardless of what the dealer says - If it is making noises there IS something amiss.

No whine with Pearl, one hour later a whine with the Blue Point. No other changes. NO whine with CD, FM or cassette. This is not a hardware issue per se rather it could be a gain issue as I mention below.

An issue I did discuss with dealer. My Denon MC input is looking for .5mv or less. The MM input is 2.5mv or higher. The Blue Point's output is high for a MC cartridge at 2mv which is in the gray zone of my Denon input. Dealer reps pow-wowed and said to use MM input. Better to underdrive than overdriving the input was their thoughts. I hesitate to try MC mode with a 4x input.