Pre/Pro and Amp Options

OnMedic

Hello my Klipsh friends!

This forum is great, but very bad for my pocketbook as I get many new ideas for my HT.

As you can see from my Signature, I am contemplating the Yamaha or Denon receivers.

However, I am now starting to think about separates (Pre/Pro w/Amp). Does anyone have suggestions on this?

I know there are as many choices on the market as there are days in a year. Some of the names I have looked-up online are Adcom, Argon, Rotel and Outlaw. Can anyone provide feedback on these and/or others you would recommend. I have not noticed many 7 Ch. amplifiers, any reason why and how would that work if the Pre/Pro is 7.1?

To start I will probably run my Current Yamaha via Pre-out to the amp, and as a second step add the matching Pre/Pro to whatever amp I choose. My budget for this is $1K per piece.

I thank you all for your support!

STeve

Thats a pretty goof budget, but I don't think Aragon is in that range. You are close to Rotel seperates and many have had good things to say about Rotel with Klipsch. Marksdad, however, had some bad quality control issues with his Rotel pre. Outlaw also is said to give GREAT performance for low $$$.

Just my opinion, but there is absolutely no good reason I can think of not to check out the used market for an amp. Purusing sites like Audiogon or Ebay, once you're pretty sure what you're looking for, can yield some great values. Sure, you need to be careful about who you're buying from, ask good questions up front, check seller's feedback, etc. But, Speakers and Amps are two items that I'd try to buy used every time and save some big $$$.

Some suggestions: while it might be slightly more expensive, I'd try to find a couple of used amps, rather than a single 5 or more channel amplifier. For each additional channel crammed into the same box, sacrifices must be made to achieve a certain price point. There are some exceptions to this rule, few if any in the price range you've stated. Certain Adcom amplifiers, some of the the older Acurus amps, and amps by B&K, by many accounts, pair well with Klispch.

So, if you're starting out with a 5.1 channel set up, you can build from a good two channel amp for the L/R channels, and a good matching 3 channel amp for the front and two rear channels. You can then add an additional 2 channel amp later if you get the bug to go 7.1.

For a pre/pro: if you go the B&K route, one of their Reference 30 units, or above, might suit your needs. These are available as well on the used market, and are upgradable as technology advances come to market. You'll also be able to find these on the used market. I've also used Adcom pre/pro's in the past, with decent results.

kev is right, rotel used to be my dream system, since they sent their manufacturing out of country they went down hill, my dealor has had soooo many returns on thier products, i myself did 13 returns in a 4-5 month period before rotel gave up and refunded every cent, during that period of time i auditioned many types of amps/ recievers, i finally went with the b&k gear, denon good, yammi good, h&k good, most really good but not in b&ks league, it is extremly dynamic, especially for ht, the non current limiting design really adds to explosions, it is called an analytical design, but to me this translates to definition ,every note, pause, explosion is heard with startling detail, and the build quality, wow! i have the avr 507, and it flat beats all seperates in its price range, for a reciever this is saying alot, but the proof is in the experience12.gif