6 KHorns for HT?

Griffinator

Whattya think? I've got a 10x18 room in the basement of my new house that I intend to build out as a dedicated listening/HT room. I had been kicking around the idea of 6 towers as a surround package, since I'm already planning to employ either a forward-projector or a flat panel HDTV as my video display, thus opening up the floorspace beneath it.

D'ya think 6 K's would be overkill? Hell, what kind of psychopathic behemoth of a sub would I need to actually keep up with that much SPL?

Right now, this is strictly project stage anyway, but I thought I'd get all my brainstorming out of the way before I started buying kit.

If you're not able to have every speaker in a proper corner, you'll probably be better off with the Belle...also, it's hard to angle the corners so that the sweet spot is where you'll be wanting to sit, so keep that in mind too 2.gif

nevertheless, it'd still be insanely cool to say u got 6 khorns for your HT10.gif

Its a nice dream - But your room is way too small for that many Khorns and a Khorn center would only work with a false walls pushing it almost 3 feet into your small room. YIKES.

If I were you I would look into an all LaScalla system instead. Your front array would be in line and it would work in a small or future larger room.

JM

----------------

On 1/21/2004 12:49:32 AM Vital wrote:

Get the new Klipsch Ultra home theater coming out next month.

----------------

Methinks a Heritage system would take that to the cleaners (Belles, Lascalas or Cornwalls). Especially with proper subbage.

Glad I asked, really. I didn't even consider the center and surround back issues. I just thought it would be so ultra-cool (even in this pitifully small room) to smack 4 of those monsters into the corners and let 'em rip! :)

LaScalas, eh? I'll have to sneak on up to Charlottesville and audition some. Gotta be careful - don't want my boss catching me! 6.gif

----------------

On 1/21/2004 9:19:32 AM Griffinator wrote:

LaScalas, eh? I'll have to sneak on up to Charlottesville and audition some. Gotta be careful - don't want my boss catching me!
6.gif

----------------

Where in Charlottsville can you audition them? I certainly would like to give them a listen again. Last I heard a pair was when I was in Indy this past summer.

FWIW, You will find that your room is too small for that many Khorns. I agree that Belle's and or La Scalas is the way to go on the fron array. I have a 14x23 room and if the side and rear effects were Belles or La Scalas, there would be no where to sit!

I use Heresy and Forte for the sides and rears and that is more than adequate.

----------------

On 1/21/2004 10:17:53 AM skonopa wrote:

----------------

On 1/21/2004 9:19:32 AM Griffinator wrote:

LaScalas, eh? I'll have to sneak on up to Charlottesville and audition some. Gotta be careful - don't want my boss catching me!
6.gif

----------------

Where in Charlottsville can you audition them? I certainly would like to give them a listen again. Last I heard a pair was when I was in Indy this past summer.

----------------

Well, I don't actually know that you can audition Las there, but I know there's a Klipsch dealer in C-Ville. I may end up having to cruise to DC to actually hear them before I buy them.

'

----------------

On 1/21/2004 11:06:52 AM Rudy81 wrote:

FWIW, You will find that your room is too small for that many Khorns. I agree that Belle's and or La Scalas is the way to go on the fron array. I have a 14x23 room and if the side and rear effects were Belles or La Scalas, there would be no where to sit!

I use Heresy and Forte for the sides and rears and that is more than adequate.

----------------

I'm a bit anal when it comes to matching speaker systems. I really don't like to set up HT's where the rears and sides and center don't match the fronts. It just throws off the balance of the system - unless you go back into the receiver and artificially boost those channels, which I like doing even less. Give me six matched speakers in a surround package any day of the week.

If the La's are that big, I may just have to revert to my original plan, which would be six SF-3's (which I get at a ridiculous discount at work) - sure, it's not going to be the mindblowing tones of the Klassic Klipsch, but I do need to sit down in there! 9.gif

I installed a nifty JBL/Yamaha HTR-5590 package for a friend of mine - very awkward room, 5 of 6 speakers were at ceiling height, with the center on top of this little 19" Mitsubishi TV. All I had to do to balance this mess was back the center down about 3dB - everything else blended perfectly - 4 S36's for fronts and rears, S-Center front, N-Center for surround back. Certainly wouldn't hold a candle to some of the mindblowing systems here, but it balanced really nicely, and fills his tiny little 10x10 living room with some pretty intense effects for a low-mid grade surround system.

Please note: this was before Best Buy started dealing in Klipsch. Please forgive me. 9.gif