2004 Sony ES speakers.... Anyone heard them?

om13934

Can you beleive that Sony reports that its new es line of speakers can reach a screeming 70khz.!?! Most high end receivers from denon, yamaha, hk, and others only support up to 20khz and they are marketing these as home theater speakers? Shed some light on that mystery if you can. Sounds like a waste of material and just specs to lure the unsuspecting audiophile into their realm of poor sound reproduction. Possibly over rated?

Even KEF's with their hyper tweeters "only" hit 55khz

I recently bought a STRDA1000ES receiver, and love it. I was on a tight budget and it fit the bill.

However, I am by no means brand loyal.

I can belive the specs, but the ONE thing I didn't see was how flat that frequency response is. How many dBs down is the response at 70Khz? Heck, for that matter how many dBs down is it at 20Khz?

I don't know if there are any "laws" that would prevent a manufacturer from misleading its specs, but to me, a frequecny response without including how far down the extremeties of the response curve is are worthless.

I am not meaning to diss the speakers, I would just like to see more detailed specs.

-Alan

This is another marketing coup,who cares their speakers can reach 500MHz and scare alines two light years away from earth.This so called extreme frequency response is all Sony can hold to as a claim to fame.

I use Dynaudio Contour speakers I would never exchange them for any Sony speakers ES or not ES.

BTW most humans hearing stops around 18KHz,who cares their speakers can reach microwave levels.

The most important is how well they cover the audible range,how little they color the sound and how pure the midrange is.

The frequency response above 20,000 Hz is part of Sony's effort to market the SACD. The theory is that the sound above 20 kHz interacts with and changes the sound in the audible spectrum. In other words, its probably pure marketing bunk.

The SACDs benefits are outweighed by the downside in cost and lack of native DSD digital processing IMO. This may change over time as the technology matures. If the SACD makes it as a comercial success, it will NOT be because of the frequency response above 20 kHz.

Bill

hahaha, they look like bootleg B&Ws.

Sony used to make a 10K+ speaker only sold in asia and some HUGE A@@ 2hcnl amp, the size of krell monoblocks. i saw them in a Hong Kong audiophile magazine. havent evne seen them on american magazines, oh well, then agian, those aren't ya average sony products.

i actually heard them hooked up to their new model 9000(?) top of the line digitally amplified surround receiver.

nice sound and i also thought they were b&w knockoffs. the only thing i could think was 'i wonder how this digital amp would sound w/klipsch?'

avman.

Krell gets alot of praise in Asia.......theEar, how many asian magazines have you read to back up that statement??? Their good, but there are so many better amps so in asia that tops it. Just cuz they arent sold in US, dont mean their not as good as Krell.

If you ever stop by chinatown, goto their magazine stands, and find out for yourself.

Krell isnt as hype in asia as it is in USA.

Outclass what,power and sound quality.Not a chance buddy,these big japanese power amps are a joke.Overpriced jokes,you want ultra low distortion and specs(on paper)to put these so called japanese amps to shame.

Try Halcro and Spectral as well as Goldmund.BTW the SACD shown in your link...its the SCD1 I use as main player.Yes its that damn good,but the amp I could get dual Spectral monoblocks for the same price as the reference Sony.

Did you at least own any real high end? I tried a few high ticket japanese amps and so far NADA,none does it for me(considering the price/performance).The Denon POA amps are a joke,a less expensive ATI whips it with ease.Sony ES...ha...take a Bryston ST for a ride.

The only one japanese amp maker I give full credit is Accuphase,they make some of the best sounding amps.And like Krell thier whole range is quality.

Also, from what I have heard, Asians are REALLY obsessive about high frequency responce, as in, they sell seperate super tweeters to add on to your exsisting speakers, and I bet you will find most (sucessful) hi end speakers sold in Asia have a super tweeter on them.

Example:

http://www.harman-japan.co.jp/products/jbl_cons/ut045be.htm

http://www.harman-japan.co.jp/products/jbl_cons/ut505.htm

http://www.harman-japan.co.jp/products/jbl_cons/jblut405.htm

http://www.harman-japan.co.jp/products/jbl_cons/jblut025.htm

Notice the little super tweeter (and how cool these speakers are, and why are they not in the USA???) http://www.harman-japan.co.jp/products/jbl_cons/4348.htm

Just above the horn http://www.harman-japan.co.jp/products/jbl_cons/s3800-1800c.htm

i dont own any equipment at that price range, i am only 18...duh!!! lol

although i dont own any, i have listen to several high end audio electronics. I am not saying that these big japanese amp are better then krell. Just saying that krell isnt that best in asia.

not that it matters, i am chinese as well and have talked to many asian audiophiles, most of them rather have amps such as bryston, musical fidelity, and esp mark levinson for the money. and YES, they are all american and european amps. Just proving that point that krell isnt as big as a hit in asia as it is in US.