Speaker Setup Question

Rdog

I am currently moving into a newly built condo. I have a dilemma in that I really want to setup a kick but surround sound system. I have a wall that is 14' away from the tv, but only one side wall. The couch is going to have to go right up against the wall. My problem is that the dealers are all recommending going withthe RCR-5 in the ceiling to either side of the main listening position as rear surrounds. Will this sound good? I orignally wanted the RS7 but they said since the couch is in on the back wall, they think the sound will pass by the listening position. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The front of the theater will have RF7, RC7 and RSW15.

I'm not big fan of in-wall/ceiling speakers, as they are permanently placed and will offer no other options. If your sure that nothing will ever change, it will serve the purpose though. I'm running some no-name in-walls as rears in the HT, but my main listening position has changed, so now I have a left side and a center rear in a 5.1 arrangement! Also, you'll not know how they sound 'till you have a couple o' holes in the ceiling. Another problem could be annoying vibrations from something in the ceiling/wall that could take some time to hunt down and kill.

I'd recommended researching other options. Maybe, if you can afford a foot or so with the couch, place some smaller satellites on stands, or the RS-7's(more kick butt than ceiling speakers), to get the tweets up over the top edge of the couch, angled inwards. They're mainly used for effects anyhow. You should be able to compensate for the closness with the rear volume and/or delay time.

If you ever end up moving out, you'll leave nothing behind.

Hope I didn't spoil the sales guy's plans. 14.gif

I agree w/ ironwoods about the stands. If there's anyway you can get the wires back there, put some bookshelf speakers (RB-75s would match your others) on stands. I've seen several pics w/ rear speakers on stands.

Another option would be to get some ceiling mounts for your rear speakers. Vantagepointcorp.com has some and they've been nice to deal w/ so far. (I've emailed them asking about mounting configurations and have gotten very quick helpful replies.)

I wouldn't go w/ the in-wall/ceiling speakers unless I absolutely had to.

John

Well, you certainly want the sound to pass by you when you are in the listening position, or you won't hear it. Get the RS7s and put them on stands, at or about ear level, and on a plane with the listeners (out from each end of the couch). Do not put them on the wall behind you. Your HT speakers should make you happy for many years, and probably in more than one home.

SSH

I have attached a floorplan of the condo. I am placing the couch on the wall along the masterbedroom. I really do not think I will able to pull the couch off the wall at all, I wish I could. You know who the boss, probably will not let me. The idea of the sales guy as well as Klipsch tech support was to put the RCR-5 in ceiling speakers of to the sides of the couch and angle the tweeter and the middle of the couch. I know surround effects really do not have much punch anyway, but I just wanted to make sure that it would still sound decent. This is only a temporary/investment place anyway and soon I hope to have a home theater setup similar to Moon(props to your place Moon). I also do not mind leaving the speakers behind, small purchase anyway at around 6-800.

post-12998-13819251595376_thumb.gif

----------------

On 1/22/2004 10:32:50 AM ssh wrote:

...Get the RS7s and put them on stands, at or about ear level, and on a plane with the listeners (out from each end of the couch).

----------------

Doesn't he want to put the surrounds a couple of feet above the listeners ears, ideally? Also, given the dispersion pattern of the RS-7, and the proximity they will be to the rear wall, wouldn't bookshelves suit his need better? Not trying to start anything, just satisfy my own curiosity.

John