RW-12 vs. RSW-12

bonedoc

There is a vast difference between the RW and RSW series. The RSW series uses better amps, woofers and better enclosures. There is significant output from the RSW-12 at 20 Hz, but 30 Hz and up is the optimum range for the RSW-12. Adults generally do not hear well below 30 Hz. The 20 Hz subwoofer is really a bass shaker IMO.

If the price differential is important, take a look at the SVS subwoofers. If you want to stay with Klipsch and maximum 20 Hz output is your goal, the RSW-15 is the king.

Many recently released movies have significant LFE signal below 30 Hz. This trend is likely to continue.

Bill

The RW-12 uses a tuned port. The RSW-12 uses a passive radiator, so there will be no port noise. The RSW has a 625 watt BASH amp that peaks at 2400 watts, weighs 58 pounds and puts out 119 db. The RW-12 has a 300 watt amp, weighs 49 pounds and puts out 113 db.

Once you move up to the RSW line, the 15 is the better buy IMO. It weighs 85 pounds. In the price range of the RW, SVS is very competitive.

I have the RSW-15. It easily puts out more bass than the wife and dogs are willing to put up with. The blend between the RSW-15 and RF-7s is excellent. (I suspect that the better SVS subs would be as good or better in every area except punch.) At the time I acquired the RSW-15, SVS only made tube subs. Tubes were not for me. Today SVS makes box subs that are very highly regarded on the forum.

Each listener will have a point where the added cost of a bigger sub provides insufficient benefit to justify the cost. On the other hand, many folks on the forum have purchased a medium sub only to purchase two bigger subs later. If in doubt, buy enough sub the first time. It is chaeper in the long run.

Bill

PS: TheEAR's opinion on subwoofers is perhaps the most informed on this forum. He has posted on this question in the past. B

----------------

On 1/24/2004 4:15:10 PM MrMcGoo wrote:

The RW-12 uses a tuned port. The RSW-12 uses a passive radiator, so there will be no port noise.

----------------

Besides just port noise, at higher volumes the air may not be able to flow freely in and out of the port and you start to loose output down low if your port isn't big enough.