Dumb question about using receiver as pre/pro.

whadyasay

No it will not shut down output to the speaker terminals they can still be used. So if you use a two channel amp for the mains the receiver can still power the center and rears. If you have a 4-5 channel amp you can still use the Surrounds "B" for 7.1 if you desire.

Many receivers have a U type jumper that connects the pre/out to the receiver's amps for the front right and left. When a separate amp is used for the mains, the U clips must come out. Nothing is driving the amps for the mains at that point. The input to the front right and left amps can then be used for amplification of a second source. This is rarely done, but it is possible to use the amps for the front right and left after an outboard amp is added.

Bill

Thanks all. I'm using a 5-ch amp for the front L/R, C, and Surr. L/R, while I let the receiver's amp handle the L/R Surr Backs when fed a 6.1 signal (only a few DVDs in my collection). To be more clear, if I have an amp hooked up to, say, the front L/R pre outs, will the outputs on the receiver's front L/R speaker outs still be active, or inaactive due to the preamp going out? Will this cut down on the heat coming from the 2803's power section? Isn't there a concern about the receiver's amp being driven when no speaker load is attached? Also, should I do anything to the A/B speaker switch? Thanks again.

You are correct, even though you are using a 5 channel amplifier feeding it with the Denon's preouts the internal amplifiers are still active. There is no way to shut them down. The heat will just be idling heat though. I did this for a couple of years with my Denon 3300 and another couple of years with the 4800 until I finally went with an A/V Pre/Pro instead. I initially got a B&K Ref 50 but I did not like it so I got rid of it. I just got the NAD T163 and I am very happy with it, not too pricey either. I love the dual subwoofer outputs!

Frzninvt

I see you have a 15 DVC Kicker in you system. Is the "S" "L" in the model number for the solobaric? If not what model is it? Also do you find that the kicker, although loud and efficient, may be a little boomy. I would think that it has a pretty low Qts. Just wondering. I have a couple JL 15W6's sitting here. I have always wondered about making a horn type sub system with them. Not horn loaded like the Klipsch's but basically having the port use a folded horn. ????? I haven't really researched it much....

It is the Solobaric 2 Ohm DVC version (square driver), it is in a large R/T enclosure 3/4" HDF around 3 cu ft. or more with the heavy gauge binding posts. It is being fed from a DBX BX-3MkII 400W/Channel amplifier in 3-channel mode with the bridged channel sending 400W into its series'd coils for a 4 ohm load. It is not boomy at all, I got in a a trade for an Orion XTR-2150 and some XTR-10D subs since I needed a temporary subwoofer indoors while my Velodyne was being serviced. I hung onto it afterwards since it blended well with the Velodyne and my NAD Pre/Pro has dual subwoofer outputs. I will probably hold onto it for awhile or trade it for something else.