Rotel RCD-990 CD player

jhawk92

As my equipment list states, I am in the process of trying to figure out a good CD player for my 2-ch system. Price range is negotiable, but I don't want to break the bank, so less than $1k is a must and I'd prefer it was below $750.

Not sure if I want a 5-disc changer, ala my older Denon, or go with a single disc. I do like being able to load up a bunch of music and listen long-term, or shuffle between tracks. But I've seen good reviews of the Rotel RCD-990, which is an older player. Is this one that would be worthwhile finding used? Thanks.

I can't speak to the older Rotel 9-series model though I've heard very good things about them. You may wish to take a look at the Rotel RCD-1070 or the just released/updated 1072. I have the 1070 and I'm quite pleased with it's sound. Either player new should be attainable for a good bit under the $750 limit you've set. I picked mine up for $599 from an authorized dealer if memory serves. There are additionally several good reviews for each model available online.

HTH

~shoe

shoe-

Thanks for the fast reply. Yeah, I saw a great article about the 1072 in The Absolute Sound. That's what got me wondering about Rotel gear. I guess I'd like to know if I'll be able to tell a difference, sonically, between my Denon, or the latest DCD-380 ($300) and something that is in the $600+ range. I'm no Golden Ear by any means, but never having had the opportunity to A/B CD players makes me wonder.

Hey Rob

We miss ya in the old CT neighborhood. Congrats on the new job, baby and home.

I may be coming to CO in Oct to see the audio show in Denver. So I may bump into ya.

About you question on cd players. As my Sony ES is in the repair shop again,I started

thinking about a second CD player to use. I've been wondering about players with tube outputs. Njoe Tjobe and Cary came to mind. Then a comparison between the

Jolida 100A (tubed) and the well regarded Rega Planet (not tubed) posted by Neo33 came up.

I've become more curious about the Jolida in modified form. Like the Njoe it can be

ordered stock or with a couple levels of mods droped in. Unlike the Njoe it seems to

be built in a HD chassis the CD drive in the center straddled by front to back chasis

structures and a thick aluminium front. Even the remote is aluminium. These modified

units have 2 levels of electronic tweeks sprinkled in. A search of Audiogon.com can

locate them. Also check Neo's input in his thread a short time ago.

Reg

I have been pleased as heck with the AH! Njoe Tjoebs (and later upgraded with the upsampler and Siemens tubes). I've seen them on Audiogon within your budget with the upgrades.

Also have a Heart I'm using in a second system. It is very nice, but I'd still give the nod to the AH!

Hope you have the chance to listen with your own ears before purchase.

Reg-

Great to hear from you. If you are in Denver, please look me up, as I'd love to have you over for that Khorn/Scott demo I owe you. I'll have to look up this audio show...got any info on it? I miss CT some, but certainly not the work issues. Guess you guys have been hammered this year with snow. Kinda glad I'm outta there with 3000 sq ft of driveway to shovel!

Thanks for the info on the Jolida/Njoe/Rega ideas. I'll check out Neo's thread to see what goodies are there. Have your Moondogs made it back home yet? Bet your CW's are missing them.

DD-

Yeah, I'd really like to listen to them ahead of time as well. Would love to hear what everyone likes about the old Rega Planet, any of the Rotel gear, and some of the tubed variety. Would be pretty cool to have a gathering of CD players somewhere. Maybe there is a Njoe dealer around???

Dale-

Sounds like a great endorsement on the Rotel gear. What would a good 990 go for on the used market? What are the benefits of "dither?"

Hands down -- I highly recommend the Rotel , any of the models mentioned . Take a look at the new ones as earlier responses have indicated. I have a 971 model purchased in 2000 I think it was -- and love it. Don't know if you are into HDCD or not or don't care , but this is also an added feature.

go for it. 2.gif

DALE3.jpg

Tower of rotel matchs up well with a tower of klipsch !!!!!

Cd player is third from the top , dither is adding of ultrasonic and infersonic noise to improve the sound. levels o to 7

I'll look at the manual tonight and maybe give you a better explanation.

I would think you could get a 990 for under 1k US bucks .

Mine was $ 2300.00 canadian if memory serves me correctly.

P.S That big black fire hose looking cable thats bending out of the left bottom of the k-horn is 2K worth of monstercable sigma series.

Hard to believe how much money i use to piss away on this stuff when i was younger. lol 2.gif