Cleaning help required....

maxg

I know it comes up time and time again - cleaning vinyl records. I have about 5 I would like to give a once over.

My chemicals available are:

1. Rubbing alcohol (AKA Surgical Spirit).

2. Nail Varnish remover.

3. Hand soap.

4. Washing up liquid.

5. WD40.

Choice and dilution factors recommended please - ASAP - I am gonna start cleaning in about 2 hours.

Thanks for the input DD - I am leaning towards the WD40 here. Never heard of anyone using it - just fancy a go at it.

Of course that will be in addition to one of the soaps to get the stuff off. I wonder what the baking time is on WD40?

----------------

On 1/27/2004 11:08:05 AM maxg wrote:

I know it comes up time and time again - cleaning vinyl records. I have about 5 I would like to give a once over.

My chemicals available are:

1. Rubbing alcohol (AKA Surgical Spirit).

2. Nail Varnish remover.

3. Hand soap.

4. Washing up liquid.

5. WD40.

Choice and dilution factors recommended please - ASAP - I am gonna start cleaning in about 2 hours.

----------------

For many years before getting a record-cleaning machine, I washed my records in very tepid water over a large sink. I ran the water over both sides of the record, lathered one hand with hand soap, and ran my soapy palm over each side of the record in circular motion, i.e., parallel to the grooves (I know, only one groove per side!).

I then rinsed the record thoroughly until I felt no more soap, and used the softest possible paper towel to dry it -- I didn't let it air dry. This seemed to work well, with cleaner-sounding records and less record scratch. Be SURE not to scratch the groove(s) with anything like your fingernail, or scrape it against the spout or faucet. Record cleaning machines no doubt are better, but this worked until I got one. I can't imagine using any harsh chemical.

Larry

----------------

On 1/27/2004 11:56:10 AM fini wrote:

I would go with Larry's technique, making sure you align your fingerprints with the groove, for deeper cleaning.

----------------

Omigosh,I've been screwing up for years! Back to your bathroom, Fini!

Cannot give much advice on what to use, but I can say a bit about what not to use.

Nail varnish remover, assuming it is the same thing called nail polish remover here, generally contains acetone. Although I haven't tried it on vinyl, I wouldn't recommend it. Acetone is a very nice solvent for cleaning things. It evaporates without leaving a residue. But it will soften many kinds of plastic. For example, it is used to soften the plastic ferrules on golf clubs during polishing after they have been ground to fit.

Rubbing alcohol here is denatured. That means that an oily substance has been added to discourage folks from drinking it. This will remain on the vinyl as a sticky residue which at the very least will tend to trap any dirt that comes that way after the record is cleaned. Pure grain alcohol, sold here as Everclear, might work, if it doesn't attack the vinyl.

WD40 is going to leave a residue also. That is what it is designed to do so it will protect metal from moisture.

Hand soap will also leave a residue.

Best choice of the options you listed might be washing up liquid. My guess is it is least likely to attack the vinyl and properly rinsed won't leave much of a residue.