What went in the boxes were two 8/10 Choruses and an 9/10 Academy

Olorin

What came out was a 4/10 Academy, a 3/10 Chorus, and lumber and parts. How hard is it to imagine that a 90 lb wooden box takes more packing and structure than a motherboard? Some people are so stupid I can't believe they remember to breathe. If they would forget, the world would be a better place.

I'm having a hard time not just throwing a raging tantrum. So much for my excellent deal, eh? In the future I'll keep in mind what they say about chickens and when to count them.

So here's what I have to do to make some lemonade. I need two build two replica Chorus cabs. I need a mid horn. When the speaker fell over in the truck or got dropped or was thrown from the bridge or whatever it was that created enough impact to split the cabinet along the length of the seam between the top and the side, the weight of the driver snapped the horn in two. Naturally it landed on the crossover, so I've got to get one of those too.

I'm thinking of a word that rhymes with DUCK!

I guess this ought to be more than just a rant. If anyone can help me get my hands on a GOOD set of Chorus II cabinet plans, I'd appreciate that. I can use the one good one as a template, but plans would be better. And if anyone can help me source a mid horn and a clean crossover, I'd be grateful for that as well.

----------------

On 1/27/2004 12:46:59 PM kj5dq wrote:

We feel your RAGE and your PAIN... Who was the shipper as this seems to be happening more and more with them all. Bill

----------------

UPS was the shipper. The real problem lay in the packaging, though. If they'd been packed so that the packaging was supporting the speakers instead of the other way around, there would have been a greater chance of success.

The photos I took of everything here last night aren't sharp enough for me to read the packer's name. It was one of those Mailboxes Etc type of places, though it wasn't them. I'll check the label when I get home and post that up.

Heretic-

I REALLY feel your pain, since I know what that combo can do in a HT situation. I was excited for you to get those babies and try them out. I am surprised that the Mailboxes ETC place did bad, though I am not too surprised about UPS. Fellow board member Mike Lindsey sold me his Chorus IIs, had them expertly packed at Mailboxes, and they made it from FL to CT no problems. The boxes were a bit banged up, but each speaker was surrounded by 2" styrofoam on all sides. In fact, I used the same boxes in my move here to CO, and they did fine, though the moving company added a few more knicks to the boxes. When I picked up my SVS from the UPS station, the box had a pretty big hole that was kicked in. Fortunately, the sub was ok, but it was kinda surprising the abuse it took.

Sounds like the seller just left the speakers there and didn't give careful instructions for their packing. Any way to get money from either the seller or UPS? Best of luck. Oh, and I was thinking of that same word that you were when I read your post.

----------------

On 1/27/2004 6:11:31 PM jhawk92 wrote:

Heretic-

I REALLY feel your pain, since I know what that combo can do in a HT situation. I was excited for you to get those babies and try them out. I am surprised that the Mailboxes ETC place did bad, though I am not too surprised about UPS. Fellow board member Mike Lindsey sold me his Chorus IIs, had them expertly packed at Mailboxes, and they made it from FL to CT no problems. The boxes were a bit banged up, but each speaker was surrounded by 2" styrofoam on all sides. In fact, I used the same boxes in my move here to CO, and they did fine, though the moving company added a few more knicks to the boxes. When I picked up my SVS from the UPS station, the box had a pretty big hole that was kicked in. Fortunately, the sub was ok, but it was kinda surprising the abuse it took.

Sounds like the seller just left the speakers there and didn't give careful instructions for their packing. Any way to get money from either the seller or UPS? Best of luck. Oh, and I was thinking of that same word that you were when I read your post.

----------------

I think you're right about the instructions part. The speakers had cardboard over each driver, and they were wrapped in some kind of styrofoam sheeting. There was no foam of any kind, although there was a layer of bubble wrap -- the kind with the really small bubbles. What that was supposed to accomplish, I have no idea. The only cushioning was packing peanuts, and the box wasn't fully packed with those.

All in all, the packager was plain incompetent. I mean, UPS is UPS, and everyone knows it. Expect UPS to be gentle with your stuff? Sure, and ask the river not to rise, and ask the tides to take a day off.

The packer told me they were insured for $600, but when I told the seller about all this he said he insured them for $800. He seems like a good enough guy, and at this point in the game seems to be in my corner, so right now a lot depends on his conversation with the packager today.

I did get to have a little fun. I hooked up the one that still had all its pieces just to make sure it would work -- put it in place of the left Heresy.

I couldn't even hear the Heresy with that Chorus going. I bet two of them sound REALLY good. 2.gif

----------------

On 1/30/2004 6:00:11 PM j-malotky wrote:

I usually always try to drive the speakers I buy. After reading this, that is going to be my new golden rule.

JM

----------------

That is exactly what I was thinking after reading this. I've been kinda just checking around to see what may show up with in the general VA, MD, PA, WV area (all within about 4 hours drive). A few things showed up that looked promising, but right now, I am just not ready to speand anymore money on this (save for a cheap but decent two-channel amp that I'd like to find for spring time to press into DJ service at my friend's wedding, but continue to use in a two-channel setup).

As to the original poster - all I can say best of luck and hope you can get this resolved as best you can. Truly sorry a nice set of speakers ended up getting destroyed like that. 14.gif

Guest Anonymous

I feel real bad now, I emailed that seller and was bidding myself, you can see my bids, I stopped when he would not confirm his location for me to come to his place to look at them, he did not seem to want P/U15.gif I should have posted a warning at that point, but I was fighting with my certs and it slipped my mind14.gif I HATE THIS S***