Vintage SS vs modern SS receivers

Colin

Yea, at weddings you pretty much have a hand stirring the water in the piranha tank until everyone is into their third drink! I DJd all through college, and the best weddings were the ones where evryone was shiftfaced before dinner was over. My favorite was doing one of the Busch cousins here in St. Louis - they kept throwing equipment in the swimming pool.

Someone would get belligerent, grab a tape deck or turntable, and heave it in the pool if I didn't play a song they wanted. Besides having Mom or Dad walk up and start peeling hundreds out of the endless purse, three of the girls from the 15 girl wedding party stayed around me to tell jokes and act as bouncers. All the rental equipment, and a cheap tape deck of mine went swimming that day. Noone touched the Scalas or my Naks, got over a thousand $$ tip, they sprang for the rental bill and wrote a check to fix everything, and I got about 15 bottles and three kegs!

Break out those MP3s3.gif2.gif

----------------

On 1/29/2004 12:12:44 AM sheltie dave wrote:

My favorite was doing one of the Busch cousins here in St. Louis - they kept throwing equipment in the swimming pool.

----------------

Damn! Pretty wild! Amazing what funs and follies ensue when you mix a bit of alchohol with to much money 11.gif10.gif . I don't have any pools to worry about. This one is going to be at one of the local volunteer resue squad's hall. Getting a couple $K's is nice and at least your good equipment came out unscathed with them paying for the rest. 6.gif

----------------

On 1/28/2004 9:33:14 AM Colin wrote:

Of all of the modern receivers to mate with big ole horns, Yamaha is often said to be the worst match!

----------------

Where did you hear that? I would doubt it, however, the same buddy mentioned above wants to test his Yamaha amp on my horns just to make sure how it stacks up... I'll let you know...

DM2.gif

Hk, Marantz, nad, arcam, rotel, b&k, Bob Carver. That is if you like music at all. Onkyo Entry will smoke anything at the price range. Plus onkyo are known for oustanding build quality and massive power. I would only consider onkyo entry for the money then move on up to the above mentioned. Outlaw will have a new receiver in the middle of the year coming out. All these receiver are better than most old ones. Except some of the really old ones do music very well. Which in my opinion is everything Screw a receiver if it sounds good with movies and not music. That is about the ****tiest trade off a company can make. Movies are practically all music in the background unless your watching indie film or documentary. Which by the way can be great movies. If someone says a receiver is so so for music and good for movies. Then well i would sell that receiver as quick as possible, because that just isn't possible. Listen to a receiver that sounds good with music chances are that receiver will sound completely awesome with movies. No one needs all those noisy dsp's in there receiver. Their should be direct, stereo, dolby digital, dts, and that's it. What good is anything else? Really i never been to a theater and had it sound like all that echoey reverb that muddies that sound. I hear clear warm full tone that only a good musical receiver can give you in the movie department. One of my buds said he put up a sherwood new castle up to the most expensive denon and the sherwood completely blew the denon away. He said they heard a huge difference in the soundstage and clarity. Everything better and he owns soundscape and is a Klipsch heretige dealer. So that is a receiver to consider. I haven't heard it i am not fortunate enough to live near a dealer. But if i was i sure would check one out if he said they were one of the most musical recievers on the market even better than arcam and them. Do i believe him? Well i guess because everyone has their own opinion in sound and what i like and what you like are probally not going to be the same. But when something sounds really good all opinions are the same. 6.gif