Satisfying Day

Woodog

Decided to go and listen to some expensive audio equipment today, and so I dressed nicely and headed out to one of the local hi-fi dealers here and headed into their very nicely appointed, extremely comfortable, seductively lit demo rooms and talked like I really had money (COUGH). My son, who was with me, had been clued in to the ruse and went along with me shamelessly.

I spotted B&W speakers that looked really high tech and sexy, and asked what something like that might cost. $1100 each, I was told, the top of the line that they had there, I was told. Great, let's listen to them!

They had a Journey SACD and since I wanted to hear a SACD player as well I asked them to demo that machine as well. It was a DENON DVD-2900. (the only model number I remember since I got fliers about it and the DVD-2200 before I left).

So here comes 'expensive' sound. Turn it up, I asked. They did.

About a minute in to the CD, Gavin, my son, whispers to me 'our speakers sound a lot better than these'. I smiled. Yep.

We listened a bit more to other speakers and had much the same conclusion. My old Cornwalls are such a great bargain.

It makes me feel really good that after spending what is, to me, a large sum on audio the past year I got a really good deal because I decided to graze in the Klipsch/vintage tube pasture.

Left there and went to the bargain store and picked up what looked like a cool album, Ben Webster/Coleman Hawkins Tenor Giants on Verve. 99 cents. (probably scratched, I thought, but hey, for a buck why not?)

Turns out the record is nearly pristine and oh so well recorded. I like the sound and the music.

What a good day! I just had to share.

forrest

I agree with shomaker on this one....the place near me has Verity Audio Lohengrins as the top of the line they carry, which cost $60,000 a pair. Hooked up to them are either the latest high end tube gear they happen to have in stock/testing (usually in the +10k range) or the Krell or VTL monoblocks if they don't have anything special to show off. last time I was there they had "the world's best" cd/sacd player, and don't ask because I can't remember the model number..... but I do know the total price of the system was in the plus 100k range, I'd guess around 150.

----------------

On 1/27/2004 9:05:11 PM T_Shomaker wrote:

not much of a hifi store if their speakers only go up to $1100 a piece

----------------

I agree wholeheartedly with this assessment. I want to hear some martin logans, krell, etc. but it ain't gonna happen in this town.

I'm going to be travelling to Nashville TN soon, and I might visit some of the hifi stores there.

but hey, I paid $600 for the Corns (after repairing a blown tweeter) and to my ears, they were SOOOOO much better than speaks costing 2200 a pair.

I rarely get out to listen to hifi systems, being something of a recluse, and this was one of those rare days when I set out to do just that.

I still feel good about it! Nyah! 11.gif

forrest

----------------

On 1/27/2004 9:03:03 PM garymd wrote:

Fun stuff! Great that your son can tell the difference between Klipsch heritage and overpriced junk. How old is he?

----------------

Gary, Gavin is 12 years old. Right now he's blasting out an Eminem CD: the Eminem Show. SLAM! In a sorta sick way (for a VERY middle aged man) I really like his work. That 355/208 really puts out too.

peace,

Forrest

----------------

On 1/27/2004 9:25:46 PM prodj101 wrote:

however, the $60,000 Lohengrins sound amazing!

----------------

HA! At $60,000 they better bring me coffee in the morning and clean my clothes too. All is relative (especially in Kentucky)

forrest

----------------

On 1/27/2004 10:26:31 PM garymd wrote:

----------------

----------------

True, but not the point of the thread. When you're old enough to have kids of your own, you'll understand.

----------------

DINK=

Dual

Income

No

Kids

Usually refers to married yuppie couples that both have good educations and hi-paying jobs, and have no kids. Because of this, they have a tremendous amount of disposable income and tend to place a high priority on material possesions 9.gif

Thats the life for me 2.gif

----------------

On 1/28/2004 12:09:45 AM kenratboy wrote:

----------------

On 1/27/2004 10:26:31 PM garymd wrote:

----------------

----------------

True, but not the point of the thread. When you're old enough to have kids of your own, you'll understand.
----------------
DINK=

Dual

Income

No

Kids

Usually refers to married yuppie couples that both have good educations and hi-paying jobs, and have no kids. Because of this, they have a tremendous amount of disposable income and tend to place a high priority on material possesions
9.gif

Thats the life for me
2.gif

----------------

Ken,

You'd get bored. Everyone should suffer parenthood! It's more rewarding than anything else you will do with your life.1.gif

That being said, I'm glad we did it while we were young because ours will be moved out when we're 45 and still young enough to do all the things we couldn't in our 20s when we were too busy raising kids! We'll also have the money to do those things.16.gif

----------------

On 1/28/2004 1:42:00 PM DaddyDee wrote:

Woodog,

That sounds like my idea of a good time. Klipsch gear is cool or what!

BTW, Where in Kentucky to you live. I've got a few friends there around Lexington.

----------------

I'm from Bowling Green, KY... home of the Corvette and the new Cadillac XLR (I think that's the model), and Duncan Hines.

Lexington is a really nice part of the world in which to live.

My Klipsch Cornwalls are, without a doubt, the most satisfying audio purchase I've *ever* made, and I bought them ear unheard (as opposed to sight unseen) based upon what I had read in this forum. Sometimes when the music's on I find myself thinking, "Dahyum.. this sound GOOOOOOOOOOOOD"

I hope I can make it to your gathering.. I've never heard LaScalas, or Khorns, or RF-(pick your number), or Fortes, or Chorus, or....well, you get the idea.

later,

forrest

----------------

On 1/27/2004 9:22:53 PM Woodog wrote:

I want to hear some martin logans, krell, etc. but it ain't gonna happen in this town.

----------------

I've listened to some Martin-Logan Ascents on the same amp that I have in my system (B&K Reference 200.7).

Yes, they do sound smooth and detailed. Actually quite nice to be honost. Probably would've went with those if the Klipsch was not available. However, I found that I really liked the sound of my Klipsch RF-7s better. Very detailed, and the incredible dynamics. I found I liked the sound of the bass better on my RF-7s than on the Martin-Logans. The percussion was so much more present on the Klipsch than on the Martin-Logans in my listening tests. It just seemed that the drums where more pronounced on the Klipsch than the M/Ls, as though the drummer was right there in the room. Overall, I thought the music was just so much more "alive" on the Klipsch. Of course, this is my opinion, but I do know that I liked what I heard on the Klipsch better than what I heard on the Martin-Logans.