RF-35 Towers as Left/Right Surrounds -- the Pros and Cons ???

john4618

Im now using RS-35s for my left/right surrounds and one RC-35 for rear center for 6.1.

I just read some messages where some are using RF-35/RF-5 towers for left/right surrounds.

I thought that left/right surrounds were supposed to be about 3 feet above ear level, hence the RS-35s and RS-7s - so can someone explain the reasons to use (or not use) towers for surrounds ???

I want to go from 6.1 to 7.1 -- heres my options -- which option would be the best sounding:

Option # 1:

Buy another RC-35 for the rear, then Ill have two RC-35s as rear surrounds (see my sig below).

Option # 2:

Move my two RS-35s to rear, then move my RF-35s for left/right surrounds, then buy two RF-7s for my fronts.

Option # 3:

Sell my rear RC-35, then buy two RS-7s for my left/right surrounds, then use my two RS-35s for my rear surrounds.

Or, any other suggestions ???

In case anyone is wondering, my current setup sounds fantastic, I just want to go to 7.1.

----------------

On 1/29/2004 7:20:37 PM john4618 wrote:

I thought that left/right surrounds were supposed to be about 3 feet above ear level, hence the RS-35’s and RS-7’s -– so can someone explain the reasons to use (or not use) towers for surrounds ???

----------------

Ho boy - this is one of the issues of much debate on here.

The general consensous on this whole issue is that if you plan to listen to alot of multi-channle music or concert DVDs, then having the full-range tower as the surrounds may be your best bet. If you plan on just watching movies and TV, then having the more diffuse sounding RS series speakers may be better to create the more ambient back-ground noises (For example, whe watching the Lord of the Rings, I got some interesting comments from some of my friends of just how realistic and convincing the wind and bird-chirping noises were, coming from the RS-7s, to the point where they actually thought the wind was really blowing around the room).

Even the various format/standards seem to be different. Dolby-Digital seems to call for identical speakers all the way around. THX calls for Di-pole surrounds (two for 5.1 - 4 for 7.1).

As to which option to go with , that is a difficult one, and one you may have to try on your own. The most cost effective would be just to get another RC-35 for the rear, or sell that RC-35 and get two RS-35s for the rear.

Now, if you plan on listening to alot of music - then upgrading to RF-7s in the front and moving the RF-35s to the surrounds and your RS-35s to the rear would certainly be nice, but the most expensive. You could then sell off both of your RC-35s and get an RC-7s for the front center.

Me, I copped out of this whole issue and got both RS and RF style speakers for my side surrounds. My Denon lets me switch between them. I like the RF-5s for listening to music, but I liked the RS-7s for watching TV/movies.

I just got a single RC-7 in the rear. I did not think it was worth it to me to go a full 7.1 setup due to the size of my room and such, but I can easily go that route if I so desire in the future (just need to get another speaker and run wire to it - I have 7 channel amplification already)

I like option #2. The RF-7 is the best speaker you can get for two grand IMHO (buying new speakers of course, not used heritage). I can't wait to hear it with tubes. Once you have them in the front everything else will fall into place. Go for the best my friend, you will never regret it. Even if it takes a few more weeks or months to get the cash it will be well worth it.

I catch myself sitting for hours at a time sometimes playing MP3s on my RF-7 using a little Sony DvD player that was only $150.00. I credit this to the wonderful HK receiver but either way, I can't imagine how beautiful it is going to sound with great tube amps and a nice cd or sacd player. It should be as close to musical bliss as you can get for 5-10 grand. Khorns no doubt sound better from reading everyone here but that is a lot more cash invested. I like to buy new so blowing 5-6 grand on speakers is not feasible this year. Maybe next year. Probably not next year either though, I really like the look of those Reference Premiers~ Oh what an addiction this is becoming.

So, my vote is option number two. The RF-7s will put you in cloud nine.

Both Skonopo and Vital make excellent points. But John you have and

excellent setup. I have no doubts that adding RF-7 to your set up will

improve but I am not sold on four rear speakers in most homes. In addition,

the two rear center will be the same channel. So unless you have a large

back wall I don't think you see any improvement.

----------------

On 1/30/2004 9:08:47 AM overboosted wrote:

He has a new Yamaha receiver which probally has DPLIIx so the rears would not be in Mono when it is in use.

----------------

That could be true but you would not be using Pro Logic when decoding DD or DTS

movies. That would only be used on Dolby Surround formatts.