Lansing heritage forum

----------------

On 2/6/2004 10:09:49 PM sfogg wrote:

Terry,

"I just got a pair of 902-16A's from Bill at Great Plains."

How do you like them?

I found out about the diaphragms in my 902-8Bs. They are original Altec parts and are the later version (push on terminals instead of screw terminals) of what was considered the best sounding diaphragms Altec ever offered. Very light diaphragm for the best high end response though they were fragile compared to their other offerings.

Bill @Great Plains is apparently considering putting this version back into production again.

Shawn
----------------

Shawn,

Read my reply to Al. I changed the diaphragms, they were fragile and had push on terminals. Very strait forward instalation. I mated them to 511's and the Cornwall mids came alive!!!!! Again, I think that they are offered as a special order item, and worth every penny at $400.00. At this time, I am still using the K-77's but intend to try them in a two-way system.

Regards,

Terry

Terry,

"but intend to try them in a two-way system."

Definitly give it a try. That worked out very well with my LaScala's an 511B and 902-8Bs though I think I have a different style of diaphragm then you.

See:

http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/ubb/get_topic/f/3729/t/772

http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/ubb/get_topic/f/3729/t/771

BTW, $400 for a pair of new 902 drivers is a great price. Used they tend to go at least 2/3s that, I got lucky with mine.

Shawn

----------------

On 2/7/2004 11:53:35 AM sfogg wrote:

Terry,

"but intend to try them in a two-way system."

Definitly give it a try. That worked out very well with my LaScala's an 511B and 902-8Bs though I think I have a different style of diaphragm then you.

See:

BTW, $400 for a pair of new 902 drivers is a great price. Used they tend to go at least 2/3s that, I got lucky with mine.

Shawn
----------------

Shawn,

I tryed the sites above and got error 404. What are they?

Yes the 902A and 902B are a bit different. I believe that the B model has a heavier diaphragm, excursion limiting cap and can handle more power.

Terry

Terry,

Try going to:

http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/ubb/forum/f/3729

Then reading the 902 diaphragm ??? thread and the 'Are radial phase plugs really that good?' thread.

As far as the diaphragms go the ones in my 902s are the lighter variety too. To really know what you have you need to check the part numbers on them since what they came with from the factory varied and if you don't know their history they could have been changed at some point too.

Shawn

Thanks, Shawn. Interesting read about the plugs. My diaphragms have the part # 34852 stamped on them. I did not see that number listed on the Altec BB, so I must assume that they are aftermarket products from GPA. They sound great, but then I don't have the older ones for comparison. Should I allow that to influence a two/way project? Takes away some of the incentive if they can't get up past 17hz. Have you removed the plugs from your drivers?

Thanks for the help.

Terry

Terry,

"Should I allow that to influence a two/way project? Takes away some of the incentive if they can't get up past 17hz. Have you removed the plugs from your drivers?"

Those are probably the current production of the more traditional aluminum diaphragm. Those are still supposed to be very good too. I'd certainly give it a try as a two way. When I measured the K77s in my La Scalas they were dropping off very quickly above 10k.

Shawn

Shawn,

Glad to get the measured K-77 data. I expected as much.

In 1973, I ordered my first CW's (verts) and in '75 ordered a second pair (horz). Both pair have been bone stock for some 30 years. Last year, a buddy in Boulder sent me a set of upgraded Xovers for the '75s and I never looked back. Dampening, bracing, new wire, etc. Each mod resulted in a noticeable improvement. The 511Bs & 902s took the prize! I will leave the old vertical horn '73s alone for "old time sake" but am looking forward to what is ahead for the '75s.

thanks again,

Terry