Will this sub be any good?

T_Shomaker

I have been wanting a sub for my two channel that is used only for music. The problem is I can't really afford anything that would really be any good or I can afford it but it won't fit in my bedroom. So I came up with the idea to build my own sub. Here is my plan

2 cubic foot sub cabinet

250 watt plate amp

Peerless XLS 10"

Peerless XLS 12" passive radiator

All of this stuff is from partsexpress

I can't really afford much more than this so is there anything better that I could get for the money? Will this thing sound any good and what would it compare to?

when you make a plan that uses a passive radiator you have to account for the mass of the passive radiator, and buy one with a certain mass depending on what frequencies you're tuning for (I think thats how it works anyway) and you also need to make the cabinet the right size so that it will work with the PR correctly.

Take a look at the www.diysubwoofers.org page to get a general understanding of what it is involved in designing a subwoofer. Don't worry too much about the math involved (unless you enjoy that) and download a freeware simulation software like WinISD Pro

Run your T/S specs through the software and see what kind of theoretical curve you'll get. Unfortunately I didn't have time to run your figures through. You could compare that with a driver like the Stryke AV12 which also works well in a small box at a reasonable cost.If your system is music only... you may also take a look at the Adire DLP 12" in a sealed enclosure.

Later...

Rob

That would make an excellent combination. Go with 3ft^3 though, not 2ft^3. Also buy a bunch of polyfill stuffing from walmart and lightly pack the enclosure with it. This will increase the apparent box volume to the driver and PRs and lower your tuning frequency the last little bit needed to get to a 20hz tuning point.

Find out if the cabinet is braced at all though first. If it's not braced well I wouldn't recommend using it. If it's not you could always see what http://www.acoustic-visions.com/ or http://www.rutledgeaudiodesign.com could build for you in the way of an enclosure. They can go from just a flat kit all the way to a fully assembled unit or anywhere in between.

Few questions though, what type of music are you into and at what levels do you want to listen? What receiver or pre/pro are you using? Is this a two channel system? What speakers are you using?

I'd talk with John as Styke to really nail down a design. But given that info I guess I'd recommend shrinking the enclosure to a little less than 3ft^3 to get the tuning point up to 25hz or so. 3ft^3 is between an Adire Rava and Adire Dharman in size.

The sticky point will be the crossover between your Heresys speakers and this sub. You definately don't want to feed your Heresys the speaker level output of any sub plate amp. I don't know if it can be done, you'll have to look into it some more, but I think you'll have to hook your amps speaker level outputs to both the sub plate amps speaker level inputs and your Heresys in parallel. Then adjust the crossover dial on the plate amp until you get a nice blend with your mains.

No plate amp has a good speaker level high pass, and most don't even have a decent line level one. I'm not famaliar enough with this older equipment. If you can run line level from somewhere to the sub plate amp and then to your tube amp that would be the best option, but only if you dish out for something like the Adire HS series plate amps.