Blown RF-3 Tweeter?

Dome

Today I noticed that there is absolutely no sound coming from one of my RF-3 Tweeters (K-105-K). I checked all the connections and everything looks good. I switched the assembly with my other main speaker and it worked fine, so I guess it is safe to assume the speaker is the problem.

So what goes into repairing this. Would this be covered by warranty? How does one go about disassembling one of these speakers. I removed the entire horn assembly and removed the 3 nuts that 'appear' to hold the horn to the magnet. After these were removed, it would not seperate with minor force. I did not want to apply major force with the fear of screwing something up more.

I will probably call Klipsch tomorrow but I was just wondering if anybody here had any input. I am really not sure why the speaker blew. All the others are fine and the speakers are being driven by a receiver that comes nowhere near the power capacity of the Klipsch speakers (or is it possible that the receiver was being driven beyond its capacity??). When the music was playing, everything sounded clean and un-distorted...

Thanks for your input.

• Like 1

I believe the Tweeter horn is a part of the faceplate assembly; it is on my RB 15's. If your speakers are still under warranty and it just failed arbitrarily I would assume it is a warranty repair. I would call Klipsch to verify it though. If you do have to foot the bill you can order the part from Klipsch directly at parts@klipsch.com .

I just replaced the diaphragm assembly on one of my RF-5 tweeters and it was very easy.

After you remove the three nuts it is a tight fit. Just pull it apart carefully. Don't

worry too much about screwing it up because if it's blown you can't damage it any further.

You replace the entire diaphragm assembly which is the dome and voice coil mounted to a thin

plastic plate which also includes the "+" and "-" connection posts.

On mine the voice coil separated from the dome for whatever reason. Anyway, I called Klipsch

at 1-800-KLIPSCH. Everyone there is very cool and very helpful. They'll answer all your questions

and get you going again. Also the diapragms come with detailed instructions so it's a snap.

My speakers are still under warranty but the diapragms were only like $22.00 dollars each,

so I bought two. One for a back-up if it happens again. Taking your speakers in for warranty

work is a hassle and you have to wait a long time. My parts were at my door in 2 days and at

$22.00 it's just not worth the hassle for me to take them to the shop. Good Luck!

Well, I called Klipsch, expecting them to sell me the diaphram replacement kit but since the speaker is still under warranty, they just told me to call my dealer, SoundTrack (local Ultimate Electronics). I called SoundTrack and they said to just bring it in and they would take care of it. Only problem is that it will probably be 'out' at their service center for 2-3 weeks! UGH!!

It's free, but had I known that, I probably would have opted for the kit to replace it myself.

At least it is getting taken care of I guess.

• Like 1