I wanted Dvorak's Cello Concerto....

maxg

----------------

On 2/2/2004 3:59:12 PM dubai2000 wrote:

Larry.

the Du Pre/Barbirolli recording is indeed a classic. Another recording I like is the Fournier/Wallenstein on DG. On my copy it comes with the Enigma Variations conducted be.....Eugen Jochum (of all conductors!). The other disc on the set includes Holst's 'Planets' (Boston SO/Steinberg) - another interesting performance....

Wolfram

----------------

Wolfram,

Darn, I can't find my Fournier! I have the Boston/Steinberg Planets, think it's terrific. Haven't compared with other Planets, though. Toscanini's Enigma Variations sets a high standard of that work for me. Larry

Larry,

mhhhhhhhhh, Toscanini doing the Enigma Variations? I think that's something I should look for. My favourite version is a live Barbirolli from Italy (mono 1957 in Torino) -coupling: 'The Dream of Gerontius' (I love that piece!!!) with John Vickers singing Gerontius (Roma 1967, in mono). I always wanted to get the Enigmas conducted by Elgar himself (EMI). Gosh, there are still so many recordings out there.......................!!!!

Wolfram

Just an update on what I bought. Got a couple of hours listening in and reactions as follows:

"2 Rimsky-Korsakov - Scheherezade (London ffrr Piere Montreux / London Symphony Orchestra) - already got 3 copies but none are very good."

Yet another tired copy, sadly as the sonics are wonderful. Piere has to be one of my favorite conductors on many pieces including this one and Beethoven's Pastorale.

"3 Set of 3 Audio spectrum records of dramatic Soprano, Lyric Soprano and Coloratura Soprano - all with the London Philharmonic"

Oh what an idiot I am!! This is hilarious - it is Soprano works without the soprano!!! Maybe I have found the very first Karaoke recording ever made. I think I will keep them for a laugh - but it was a hell of a disappointment when I started playing.

"7 Tchaikovsky - 1812 / Ravel Bolero Living Stereo RCA Victor Red Seal - got both of course - but this could be a good recording..."

Simply staggering. Written all over this recording is Stereo Sampler disk or some such and it really is. The quality of both the performance and the sonics on this one is worth what I paid for all the disks. I'll get back with performance details soon (stil havent listened to the bolero - I already have a wonderful recording of that in mono).

"8 Mendelssohn Violin concerto (Boston Symphony)/ Bruch Violin Concerto no. 1 (National Symphony) - RCA Victrola (MONO) - probably got the Mendelssohn but not the Bruch for sure."

Mono with astounding sonics but some surface noise, serious at times. Worthwhile addition to the collection.

"9 Beethoven Emperor Concerto - Artur Rubenstein - Boston Symphony - RCA Victor Red Seal Dynagroove stereo - looks immaculate (got - I dont know - 5 copies already but this could be something special)."

It is!!!! Yes!!! Wow!!! Zero surface noise - perfect sonics, wonderful performance, this is the reason I buy vinyl, in a single jacket.

"12 Toscannini conducts - Moldau/Danse Macabre/Sorcerer's apprentice RCA Victor"

Another winner, and in stereo surprisingly. Not as good ultimately as the Beethoven above, but what is?

"16 Horowitz in Recital - Various works - RCA Victor Red Seal Mono"

Sonically wonderful, performance as one would expect from Horowitz, but surface noise very problematic in places. I will try a clean of the disk but dont hold out much hope.

"17 Beethoven Symphony 3 Arturo Toscanini & NBC symphony Orch. - RCA Victor Red Seal - Mono"

Everything I said about the Emperor concerto applies here. Another great buy and a record I plan to own till someone prizes it from my cold dead hands.

So thus far I have 4 recordings that are worth the full price I paid for all the records, each. And I still have a dozen or so of the records to try out. A result!!

Max, youse guys are pissin' me off11.gif I had my turntable stolen in 1990, sold my 1500 LPs two years later, and never have looked back. Now I have come full circle, getting back into recorded music again, and every time I read your reviews I start nashing my teeth. Must get a turntable.

I guess I'll be hitting the garage and estate sales HARD for the next month, and the odd great turntable will pop up for $20. Then I can really start partaking in the glut of outstanding LPs I glance at at almost all the sales I visit. You're a bad, bad man, taking food out of our baby's mouth2.gif

Bill,

Yes Naxos has everything - but not on vinyl which is what I tend to buy.

Sheltie,

I am truely ashamed. What can I say? I post when I am moved by a piece of music and have to share (well I dont have to, but I like to).

Hope you manage to keep the baby's weight up somehow.

Cheers

Sheltie,

vinyl can indeed sound very good indeed, but......the get really excellent resulty vinyl needs a carefully selcted TT/arm/cartridge. Yes, it might not have to be thousands, but somehow more care is needed than with a digital source, so no plug and play. But of course you are right: there are a lot of good (or better) preowned TT out there. Just select carefully.

Wolfram