RW-10 vs RSW-10

devlin24

Hi all,

So I am about to upgrade my sub and was just wondering how different these two would sound. I have heard the RW-10 at a local shop but no one has the rsw-10 in stock here. I know the rsw has alot more power but didnt know if the new features of the rw make up for it. I am running a denon 3803 with sf-1 fronts rc-25 for center and rcw-5 for surrounds.

Thanks

The RW subs are much better than the KSW they replaced. However, one of the

main differnces between the two is the RW is a ported sub and the RSW

is passive. Passive subs tend to be more tight and not as boomy as ported

subs. If those are your two to choose from I would take the RSW. But I

understand price is sometimes an issue.

The RSW subs are not passive subs, because they have built in amplifiers. They do however use passive radiators that eliminate port noise. To my knowledge passive radiators will not make the sound any tighter than ported subs, because they are doing essentially the same thing. Non-ported subs that don't use a passive radiator are going to produce tighter more controlled bass, but not as deep. Correct me if I'm wrong!

I guess I don't really understand what a passive sub is. I thought when they said passive it ment it didnt have its own amp built in but the rsw has one. When i was reading the specs it sounded like one of the woofers was powered and the other was not. Then I guess the rw just has a port instead of that extra woofer. Or am I just way off in all of this. What I am looking for is for a sub that gives you that thump in your chest when a big explosion happens when watching movies or listening to hip-hop but my wife hates when the sub sounds like its working to hard. She said a good example is when you hear those cars with the base turned way up and it sounds like s*** and all you want to do is say turn it down. We listened to the RW 8, 10. 12 and she liked the RW-12 but it was just way to big looking for our room that is why i thought the rsw-10 might be better.

Thanks again all

I don't think there is much of a size difference between the

RW-12 and RSW-10 but there is a big difference in performance.

If you are looking a bass that beats your chest and you are very

concerned about the size look into the sunfire subs. There

are about 1/3 the size of the RW-12 and about twice the power.

The do cost alsot more than either the RW-12 and RSW-10.

I don't think there is much of a size difference between the

RW-12 and RSW-10 but there is a big difference in performance.

If you are looking a bass that beats your chest and you are very

concerned about the size look into the sunfire subs. There

are about 1/3 the size of the RW-12 and about twice the power.

They do cost alsot more than either the RW-12 and RSW-10.

I have the RW-12 . I went through the same process as you . Fortunatly we here in Windsor ( Canada ) have a great Klipsch dealer ( D&R Vacume ) they let me try those subs out . I chose the RW-12 Budget reasons and i have a grandchild ( boy ) and i did not like the idea of having an exposed woofer for him to play with. So i saved some money ( still expensive ) but for me , its a great pounding sub.

In the case of the RSW-10, it has a 'passive radiator', which is basically an opposite-mounted, unpowered/unframed speaker cone that reacts to the initial impulse of the regular powered cone, providing a tighter transient punch than a port. If you want things tighter and cleaner, then the RSW-10 would probably be a better choice than the RW-12. Room placement/acoustics and listening position will also play a major part in the overall performance. You'll probably get more 'boom' and volume putting the sub in a corner, but it might be tighter and cleaner if placed along a length of wall.

Whadyasay, you are absolutly correct.

Andre I am not at all down playing the merits of the

RW-12. I also own one. And I totally agree with the concern

of the exposed woofer with little ones. I was trying to point

out I someone really want's the body pounding LFE you need a

sub that can move alot of air. The RW will not do that, but it is

a very good sub.