Start with RB-75's

mtber101

For movies the RS-7's would provide better sound dispersion around your listening area than a RB-75 would given it's design differences.

Now with the advent of DVD-A/SACD surround music, more people are using traditional bookshelf style speakers for the rear channels. In general for surround music the standard monitor design of the RB-75 is preferred. For surround music, if you plan on RF-7's for your fronts in the future, then the 75's would be the ticket for you.

You should consider how you plan to use your system most frequently first and then let that dictate your purchasing decision. I doubt you'll find any real disagreement with either model though.

~shoe

----------------

On 2/3/2004 10:48:33 AM mtber101 wrote:

Do people choice the bookselfs because they give more of a directional sound where as the RS-7 are closer to 180degrees?

What if I want the best of both worlds? Anyway to do that?

----------------

As for your first question, I'd say there are several factors which could include, usage, placement, price, etc. As I use my surround setup more for music, I went with what I would consider to be the more musical speaker, the RB-5's. Also influencing my decision was that I couldn't place the RS-7's in my room, but it was easy to set the 5's on stands anywhere in the room and they would work adequately for me given the amount of movie viewing I do. Lastly, I liked the convenience of being able to peel off the 5's from surround duty and use them as a second set of primary stereo speakers in another room when I want. The RS-7's will not perform well in that type of a scenario. By design that is just not there intended usage. Again each of us have different priorities based on our own habits so just flesh out what you really plan to use your setup for, keep reading and the answers as to what's right for you should come clear.

As for best of both worlds, why not buy both? You'll find there are lots of people on here with more Klipsch than they really know what to do with. 9.gif

----------------

On 2/3/2004 11:04:49 AM mtber101 wrote:

If i were to buy both could i use them at the same time? Like have the Rs-7 for the wider soundstage and then the RB75 for the more musical stuff?

----------------

All you'd have to do is install a speaker switch. Then, depending on the source you're listening to, you could switch between the two just by hitting the switch.

You might consider this, also (it's what I have):

Center: 1 RB-75

Mains (front): 2 RB-75's

Surrounds (left): 2 RB-75's

(right): 2 RB-75's

(back): 2 RB-75's

Subwoofers: 2 RSW-15's

I haven't been able to compare them, but I don't think RF-7's would sound any better than RB-75's with RSW-15's.

START WITH RB-75'S... and end with more RB-75's?

I'm currently using a Pioneer Elite VSX-49TXi (soon to be a VSX-59TXi). I use a Monster Cable multi-speaker selector to split the 2 side surround channels into 4 speakers. I think that just as a 2 monopole speaker "array" is generally preferable for the back surrounds (as opposed to just a single monopole, bipole, or dipole speaker in the back), that similarly a 2 monopole speaker "array" on the left wall, and a 2 monopole speaker "array" on the right wall, should be preferable for the side surrounds as well (as opposed to just a single monopole, bipole, or dipole speaker on each side). This configuration also more closely resembles actual movie theaters, which use an "array" of multiple speakers on each of the side and back walls. I only wish I could have 9.1 discreet channels (center, front-left, front-right, left-side-front, left-side-back, right-side-front, right-side-back, back-left, back-right, and subwoofer) - I think that would be the ultimate.

jdilks,

I was wondering how you power the extra two speakers with the Elite?

I understand your reasoning in using the extra two side speakers, but how does it sound? Have you listened to the RS-7's or similiar speakers so you are able to compare sound reproduction?

Also, what are the deminsions of your room and your speaker lay-out? Sounds interesting. Thanks.

----------------

On 2/5/2004 9:39:31 AM mtber101 wrote:

What is the 9.1 feature on the Sunfire Theater Grand III? Is that true 9.1?

----------------

Well currently no DVD's have a 9.1 sound format encoding. In fact, alot of people have 7.1 and Dolby Digital EX or DTS EX are only 6.1 formats, it's just that the preamp or receiver takes that discrete 6th channel and splits it into 2.

But 9.1 is not all that uncommon when you get to higher end preamps. So long as you have the cash to pay for all the amps required, that is. The C2 I own does 9.3, but unless you have a large dedicated home theater room (which my apartment most definitely is not), it almost seems excessive.

I have a Monster Cable multi-speaker selector to split the 2 side surround channels into 4 speakers. Sorry, but I just upgraded my system, and I don't have my surrounds mounted yet - but, I expect them to sound great for both movies and music. My room is about 12 x 24 feet, and I sit in the middle.

front

/ o o o /

/ /

/ /

/ /

/o o/

/ /

/ /

/ /

/o o/

/ /

/ /

/ /

/____o_____o____/

p.s. I had RS3II's in my last system.

jdilks,

So two of the channels on the Elite will power four speakers? Isn't that going to degrade the actual watts that get to each of the four side speakers, 50 watts instead of 100 WPC, which will result in unbalanced sound distribution, or do the number of watts going to each channel not have much effect on the sound of a speaker?

Have you considered placing the side speakers next to each other, one angled towards the front and the other towards the back, sort of replicating the shape of the RS-7 or similar surround speaker?

Please let me know how it sounds once you get it all hooked-up and running. Thanks.