Which Reference speaks to use and placement Q...

drdiaboloco

I'm considering upgrading to the new Reference Series, probably the -35 series. I am moving into a new house and I'm obviously going to use my existing equipment (Synergy) until things settle down and I know how much money I really have left to spend (after I get the SVS sub that is my housewarming present to self, heh heh heh).

Now... here's the first question. Listening room is 15X20 with 10' ceiling. Due to the placement of windows, I need to have my surrounds abeam to the listening position at a height of approximately 8'. Does this create any imaging problems that anyone can think of? I know the "ideal" height is around 5' but I can't place a speaker in the window opening. :) Should my rear surround (s) be at this height as well? If I mount them platform-type wall mounts this will keep ALL the surrounds above the height of normal adults so they can stick out into the room a little, so that's actually a nice thing... Does anyone have any experience with platform or cradle-type wall mounts for speakers? I don't want to drill holes into the speakers so I am still in the market for something that supports them like a wall-mount TV bracket.

Second question... If I upgrade to Ref's, clearly I'd use the RS-35's for the surrounds that go abeam the listening position. For the rear surrounds, isn't it preferable to use a conventional speaker? Like RB-35's for instance? Or would I go for TWO pair of RS-35's?

I have a 7-channel Denon so I would like to go for a pair of rear speakers, but I don't want to get a total of three center channels, preferring instead to use either conventional speaks or surrounds for the rear.

Any input would be appreciated. :)

Another thing... Considering the RF-5 and an RC-7 instead for the front three channels, primarily because of aesthetics and perceived sound. How would these compare to the RF-35/RC-35 in general terms? Keep in mind that I live nowhere near a Klipsch Dealer that carries the full line and I would just like general info before I make the trip to go listen in person.

In any case, I imagine the RF-5 and RC-7 are about to be replaced just like the lower-end Ref's. Any info on THAT front?

dr,first off the 8ft high is not a good thing,can you move them forward or backward? On the rear channels the best way would be to try low then high if need be.On mounting the rs should have mounting brackets on the back from factory(rs7's do).Mounting platforms are few and far between but somebody prolly makes em',search yahoo,ebay etc..you could make your own(see home depot).For the rear either an rc or rb's,your choice.The rf35's are the new version of rf3II's,the 3's were good.If you can afford it the rf5's are an improvement and the rc7 is one great center.If they are being replaced(I dunno)you should be able to get an even better deal.OR forget all that and get Khorns2.gif good luck.

Well it's 8ft up or not placing them correctly front-to-back. Heck, if they're supposed to be "at least 24-36inches above your ear level when seated", as I've read before from more than one source, then 5-6ft up is the minimum anyway. Minimum for "proper" placement, at least. Currently I have all my surrounds AT ear level, just because I had to in my current situation.

Keep in mind that in my room, 8ft high is still nearly three feet from the ceiling, and these speaks can be angled down to improve the imaging... To the seating position in the room's center, which is nearly 10ft from either wall.

The REARS, however, could be lower. And for that matter, I could use in-wall speakers.

I guess my most important question is whether or not I will muss up my "soundstage" if I have the L/R surrounds a couple of feet higher than the rear center channel.