RW12 hookup help

jabaker

I just recieved my new RW12 sub.It is matched up w/ RF35,RC35 and as Surrounds RB35s.I have a Onkyo 701 reciever that I have set as such:all speakers are set to small,sub crossover is set at 80.The sub is set as such:phase 0,volume halfway and crossover 120.Also I connected the sub as such:I hooked a single Radioshack subwoofer cable into the reciever sub jack and ran it to to the rt and left inputs of the sub(the cable had a Y split) Any suggestions to make it sound the best??

Since I'm a newbie I'm a bit confused on what Crossover setting is considered Max(120 or 60 etc).Please help.

First off, the sub's onboard crossover really shouldn't matter, as you're using LFE inputs, not speaker level. The receiver will only send to the LFE output what you tell it to send. 80Hz is a pretty good number. Always bear in mind that you don't want to hear the sub - you want to feel it.

The most important point is, don't use your receiver's LFE level to control the sub's volume. Open the whole system up to around 90dB and adjust the sub's onboard volume at that level. Use a DVD with plenty of rumble first, to make sure there's sufficient impact, then try a rock or modern country CD to make sure it's not "boomy".

----------------

On 2/5/2004 12:00:06 AM Griffinator wrote:

First off, the sub's onboard crossover really shouldn't matter, as you're using LFE inputs, not speaker level. The receiver will only send to the LFE output what you tell it to send. 80Hz is a pretty good number. Always bear in mind that you don't want to
hear
the sub - you want to
feel
it.

----------------

Nope...

the RW 12 has left/right RCA inputs and LFE input....

the LFE input bypasses the subs internal crossover and depends on the receiver....

The Left/right inputs does in fact use the subs crossover.....per the manual...

But since he is using sub output on receiver...then he needs to see how the receiver handles the signal....if it uses crossover or not....SO check the manual on the receiver to see what the sub output actualy is and does....if it is limited Ie lows only and limited to say 20-80hz...then go from thei sub out to the LFE in on your sub....so you are using the recievers crossover....

Get a test CD or AVIA disc and do the Sub set up tests

Good luck

I have an RW-12 and Onkyo 601, very similar set up. Instead of splitting the wires, I simply have the lfe out from the Onkyo straight to the lfe input of the sub. I used the Radio Shack sub woofer lfe gold cable, and it sounds outstanding. The sub volume knob is just shy of 12:00. Like described above for the 601 and my speakers, you can feel it at that level-it litterally shakes the room and is not boomy at all. The Onkyo handles bass management on all inputs, dvd, cd, video 1 through 4. I believe others may just work with .1 of 5.1 dolby. The cross over is set at 80. Try the THX set up menu from a THX DVD for fun. In the part where you test the sub cross over the bass gets so low you can't hear the sound anymore, you can only feel it! Too cool. Good luck.