AV15 in room test results...

formica

Ok I decided to start a new thread... the other one got a little long and diverse. 3.gif If anyone wants to know what my sub consists of or looks like... check out the AV15 sub is ready... thread.

Here are the SPL (already posted in that last thread)... as well as the corresponding graph.

Subwoofer only, Sine waves (RMS), x-over at 80Hz

with the RS CORRECTION FACTORS-

16Hz 114.5db vent noise audible

18Hz 112.5db vent noise almost not audible

20Hz 115.5db

22Hz 115.3db

25Hz 117.0db

28Hz 116.8db

31.5Hz 118.0db

36Hz 118.8db

40Hz 123.5db

45Hz 121.0db

50Hz 111.5db

56Hz 106.0db

63Hz 83.5db

71Hz 90.5db

80Hz 84.5db

90Hz 75.8db

100Hz 93.5db

112Hz 89.8db

125Hz 86.5db

As I had already mentioned... I pushed the sub close to it's maximum SPL and got 119.5db at 20Hz (corrected) before clipping and without bottoming out. It represents about an extra 4db at 20hz versus my above values. Check out my graph to see the sub and main's performance (at phase = 0 as well as phase = 180).

I didn't post it inline, as it's about 95K and didn't want to frustrate any modem user.

Later...

Rob

post-11489-1381925203499_thumb.jpg

No body respond to Formica?? 3.gif Im gonna do my first steps haha! 1.gif

Well, Formica, your sub extends very well down to 16 Hz, this looks like my Tempest but a bit flatter below 31.5 Hz. I remember that I could hit a maximum of 115 dB at 20 Hz, 116 dB at 22-25 Hz. I think that I hited a max of 117 dB at 31.5 Hz but Id have to verify my notepad.txt files 9.gif My sealed Tumult disapoint quite much below 40 Hz, I thought that it would be more powerfull than that because the woofer just can move twice the air of my Tempest. This should compensate the fact that its not in a vented enclosure. I dont know whats wrong or if this is really what it can do!! 8.gif But I know that this piece of furniture really PISS me off. It is made in wood as you can see on a picture on my tread but when you look behind, there is a cheap material (I dont know how to say it in english) which begins to get stitched. So I expect the bass to not bounce poperly from the left wall because of this. Its like... the bass get reflected from the left wall and then goes in the piece of furniture, and get imprisonned in it LOL! 7.gif This is why I saw an improvement of 1 to 2 dB when I got ride of it for some minutes. The problem is that I dont know where to place it, I dont have so much place in the basement and moreover, I place my socks and my shorts in the drawers of that piece of furni****. Ahhh what a difficult room I have for SPL!!! 8.gif

Actually I was impressed by what my SPL meter was reading as well... I didn't expect that high a SPL. When I got 119.5db at 20hz (I missed 120 by a hair) ... the amp was just on the edge of clipping and the driver was really working hard. Enough so, that I don't think I'd repeat it again for any sustained time as the cone was quite warn/hot to the touch right after. Don't want to burn out my sub before enjoying it. On the other hand, the values I posted are pretty easily attainable. Have you sold your tempest yet?

This is my living-room with adjoining hallway... Room-01.jpg

I've dropped my sub level another 2db vs the mains today, I still have a bunch of tests I'd like to run. I don't know about you, but right now I'm really considering a BFD, esp given it's cost. I'd like to better understand my situation first before find solutions for it though. Room treatments are out of the question for now.

I'll take some room pictures as well...

Rob.

PS: I move my sofa foward about 3 to 4ft when using my system...

post-11489-13819252035466_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 2/8/2004 1:52:59 AM formica wrote:

Have you sold your tempest yet?

----------------

Nop, it is on my room again, taking quite a lot of place heh!! 9.gif Wow! 11.gif I should buy another RCA cable and then I could stack both of my subs before loosing the Tempest! 9.gif The Tumult on the Tempest, in the left front room corner... IF I can move this PIECE OF lalallahhhh!! 7.gif OR... no, maybe placing the Tempest in the right front corner and then my peak and my depression in my FR curve could be corrected? 3.gif This would be too cool to be true!

Ok... I've been busy, and haven't had a chance to finish up my testing and balancing... but my current status is:

1) In the upcoming weeks, I'm going to be experimenting with a RTA software... so the readings should be interesting, but I must admit to never having used one before. I'll post some results once I actually have some... AND know what they mean... 2.gif

2) Contrary to my own advice, I ordered a BFD 1124P before familiarizing myself with my new sub. The RTA results should help setup this boy in no time at all (yeah, I know, wishful thinking...). I haven't received it yet, but one more tool to learn and squeeze into the audio rack

so many projects...

Rob