? about speaker spikes

hoggy

Hey guys/gals,

Like many of you on this forum I am seeking the perfect sound from my system. I have read a little on speaker spikes and am considering purchasing some. When you install these do you want the speaker to end up above the carpet or flush with it? I have the option on my Bells to mount spikes either where the original metal pad is or inside the riser where the riser could still barley touch the carpet. If air was under the speaker (due to spikes mounted on the riser) would that affect the bass in a positive way or neg or do you fill the chamber under the speakers either way? Any info would be appriciated. Right now I'm very happy with the sound as the wall my Belles are on sounds like one big speaker (sound stage I suppose)with everything very smooth accross it. Just trying for the "perfect" sound still. Hopefully AL's x-overs and speaker spikes will accomplish this. I cannot afford a dedicated room with perfect accoustics though.

hoggy

Thx,

The speakers will be on carpeted plywood flooring on the upper level of my split level home. It's not the most solid of floors for sure. Hope that's not a problem. The spikes should have no problem going through the carpet and padding.

hoggy

I tried spikes (actually larger TipToes) on my La Scalas. Made them sound worse.

I tried spikes on my Epic series CF-4. Made them sound better.

Same room, same general placement of speakers, same equipment.

Tile floor on concrete slab.

Hope you can return them if they don't make a change for the better. Hope they *DO* make an improvement, but haven't foggiest idea based on personal experience what to expect.

I use spikes on my RF-7s. The bass is tighter. The 7s are not on the carpet, they are about half an inch above it.

My understanding is that I am trying to couple the speakers to the floor in order to minimize movement of the speaker so that only the drivers move, not the cabinets.

Bill