Question about RF-5 and RC centers

Legairre

This is my first post here. I currently don't own any Klipsch speakers, but I might soon. I'm really interested in the RF-5s, but my dealer won't have any in stock until July 16th. So until then I'm reaserching them as much as possible. I currently have horn speakers(JBLHLS series). They sound different than other speakers and I like the way the horns give an un-colored sound. I really like the Paradigm's, but I want to here the Klipsch RF-5s because I'm a fan of horn speakers and I love it when music sounds like a live concert(I keep hearing the Klipsch speakers have this effect).

I've been in the market for new speakers lately. I've checked out Paradigm Studio(60v2s & 100v2), PSB Silver i, and now I'm up to the Klipish reference line. My question is. Why don't the RF-5s have a center channel speaker that's voice matched?

The RF-3 fronts use the same tweeter as the RC-3 center and the RF-7 fronts use the same tweeter as the RC-7 center, but the RF-5 fronts don't have a center channel speaker with same tweeter. The Klipsch site shows that both the RC-3 center and the RC-7 center work with the RF-5 fronts,but hows can these centers be voice matched with the RF-5s when they don't use the same tweeter? Below are the fronts and center speakers with the tweeters they use from the Klipsh web site. Are the crossovers set to match both centers?

Fronts

RF-3 tweeter = K-105-K 1" (2.54cm) Titanium dome

RF-7 tweeter = K-67-DV 1.75" (4.45cm) Titanium dome

RF-5 tweeter = K-119-KB 1" (2.54cm) Titanium dome

Centers

RC-3 tweeter = K-105-K 1" (2.54cm) Titanium dome

RC-7 tweeter = K-67-DV 1.75" (4.45cm) Titanium dome

------------------

"What do you mean its too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

Radden Home Theater

Going to go on record as saying

Paradigm makes some good speakers.

Only heard the Atom and Titans, Mini Monitors, and the Monitor 7's but I was very impressed.

But, My friend. Go Klipsch.

And if you like the horn Sound... dont go with any of the Reference stuff.

Heritage all the way friend.

Pick up a pair of Heresys...

I havent been able to listen to the RF-5's yet, since they have just been released... but I have heard the RF-3's.

Having a pair of Heresys in the House, I would take the Heresys over the RF-3's NE day, and I'm prety sure I would say the same about the RF-5's.

Heresys have a Hi, and Mid range Horn.

RF's just have a Hi range horn.

I also ... not possitive, but I think the Heresys are more effeciant than the Reference speakers.

(*** new subject ***)

As for the center problem

It doesnt realy need to be matched as far as I know, or am concerned.

but I could be wrong.

(*** new subject ***)

3 Heresys would IMO be your best bet..

Around 1,000 for a pair.

Or you could look on Ebay.

And For the center, look around Ebay or ask your dealer if they can order a Single one for you, for half the price or something.

Hope that Helps you....

------------------

Living Room:

Yamaha Natural Sound A-500 Stereo Amplifier

2 Klipsch Heresys on A switch

2 Fisher STV-873 on B switch

My Room:

Klipsch Pro Medias

2 Fisher Surrounds

Legairre,

Just try'em! They may match up very well. Klipsch must think so, at least. Besides, even identical speakers will not sound exactly the same when they are in such different locations as is typically the case with HT set-ups.

------------------

JDMcCall

The RC-7 is a good match for the RF-5's. The center was voiced to match both the 5 and 7 as best it could. We have done a LOT of listening here lately during our many new product trainings and have heard the 5's matched to the RC-7 many times. It sounds good. From a tonal and spectral balance standpoint, the RC-7 is a better match to the RF-5's than the RC-3, but either would work. The RC-3 is suggested as a possible center channel for anyone who 1) doesn't have enough room for the RC-7, 2) doesn't want to pay as much as an RC-7 costs, or 3) places a heavier bias towards 2-channel listening, (thereby having RF-5's), but less concern about theater.

Jim

JimG,

Thanks for the reply. I stopped by the local Tweeter yesterday and after looking it up on the computer. The salesman said they are only getting 5 pairs of RF-5s for 30 stores. He also said the likelyhood that his store will get one of those 5 pairs is real slim. I'm sure he was just trying to move his current inventory of speakers first. He kept pushing the "buy some speakers now and bring them back in thirty days for the RF-5s if we have them" speach.

Since I was there I figured why not listen to the RF-3s as a reference for how the RF-5s might sound.

This Tweeter's listening room from an audible point of view was a joke, so my demo wasn't a good experience. I ended up listening to the RF-3s and some Mirage OM9s.

First let me say that the OM9s sounded like they had a blanket over them. Very warm and muffled sounding. I liked the warm part, but they just sounded dull, with muffled highes and no imaging. When I mentioned that there wasn't any imaging the salesman said it was because of the omni-polar design of the OM9s. When I listened to the RF-3s I was disappointed in their sound as well. With so many people that like love them it must have been the setup/listening room combination.

To me the RF-3s sounded lively, but with muddy bass and no soundstage at all. Like I said the setup was terrible so I don't feel I've had a chance to really hear them.

Maybe I can find another store with a better setup.

Once again thanks for your reply.

------------------

Radden Home Theater

Legairre,

First of all I noticed you are also from CT. What Tweeter did you go to? I have been to a few around the state. Primarily, I shop at the Newington store because it is about a minute away from my house. I was recently at the Manchester store to pickup my RS-3 and was very impressed with their setup. This store is very spacious. They had a surround room with almost ALL Klipsch (some Boston Acoustics) with even a set of KFC 20s (VERY VERY Nice!!!). I also have been at the Waterford store...also pretty good setup.

Secondly purchasing the RF-3, RC-3 and RS-3 now is not a bad option. Tweeter does offer a full year speaker trade up policy. When the new Reference models are out and easy to get, I am sure you will be able to upgrade them without any trouble. At least you will have a great set of Klipsch speakers to sooth your craving until the newbies come out.

Have fun.

Ben

------------------

Sony Trinitron 27" TV

Yamaha RX-V1000

JVC HR-S3800 Super VHS VCR

Sony DVP-S530D DVD Player

Sony Tape

Sony CDP-CE345 Cd player

RF-3 Main

Monster m1.4 Biwire Cables

RC-3 Center

SS-1 Rear

Bensilb,

We're definitely in the same part of the state. I work up in Hartford, so it only made sense to take a trip down the Berlin turnpike on the way home

and stop in at Tweeters. They had two demo rooms. One for stuff like B&K, Proceed, Sonus Faber, and Mirage and the other for Bose, Klipsch, Boston Acoustics and some Vienna speakers. The RF-3s were lined up in row with other speakers on each side of them. A really lousy way to demo speakers. Kind of like going to CC or Bernie's home appliances to demo speakers. They didn't have any room to breath. It's almost as bad as putting the speakers right up against a big rear projection TV. They had some KLF20s that sounded pretty good. Really nice highs with a sweet bottom end. I'm not giving up on Klipsch speakers for two reasons. 1) I'm a fan of horns. I really love my JBLs. 2). I feel that the demo was not a good representation of the RF-3s.

I've set my speaker budget at $1500.00 for the front pair. I've heard the

Paradigm Studio 100s and PSB Silver's. Even though the Paradigms go for

around $2200.00. I can get them for $1400.00, because I have a Canadian

friend that would buy them up there and ship them to me. The PSB are also

around the $1500.00 mark. I'm dying to hear the RF-5s. I instantly fell in

love with the Paradigms, but I have got to hear some horns before straying

away from horns and going with regular tweeters. My problem is finding

some place that's going to have some RF-5s to demo.

------------------

Radden Home Theater

Legairre,

I would have to agree with you on the Klipsch demo room at the Newington store. The room is VERY small, but it has many items in it...including an entire wall of receivers. I still recommend going with my earlier statement about the RF-3s. Try them first and than upgrade later. When you are ready to upgrade, you may want to spend more. Tell the wife the RF-7 or only $900 more ppppppplllllleeeeeaaaaassssseeee!!! Probably won't work. LOL But if you don't like them you can always return them. Than I'll come in and buy them off the clearance rack for $150 less. cwm12.gif

Don't give up yet with Klipsch. Oh yah, I have also heard that Klipsch speakers take some getting used to. So take those babies home and give them a shot!!!

------------------

Sony Trinitron 27" TV

Yamaha RX-V1000

Sony Tape

Sony CDP-CE345 Cd player

RF-3 Main

RC-3 Center

SS-1 Rear

Legairre,

I forgot to mention this about the five ordered sets of RF-5s in Tweeter.

I am positive that you can have a set sent to the Newington store no matter where they are sent as long as they dont get sold immediately. You could pay for them in Newington and pick them up somewhere else also. I am guessing that a set will defiantly find its way to the Manchester store because it is truly a very large space. You can demo it there. If this is the case, the Manchester store is approximately 15 minutes away from the Newington store (that is door to door).

Earlier this week, I upgraded my SS-1 to RS-3. The Newington store would not have them in until the end of the week. I returned the SS-1 at Newington and paid the difference. Then I drove to Manchester to pick them up. Not a big inconvenience at all. It would have been a bigger inconvenience to wait till the end of the week.

Just another possibility to add to the equation. I still think you should start with the RF-3 and then upgrade them.

------------------

Sony Trinitron 27" TV

Yamaha RX-V1000

Sony Tape

Sony CDP-CE345 Cd player

RF-3 Main

RC-3 Center

SS-1 Rear