Need new sub to match Dynaudio Bookshelves

Underhanded Penguin

So let's hear it. I want something super tight, super fast, and tuneful for music. I don't care so much how low it goes. As long as it goes down to about 30hz +/- 3db. Budget is about $800 USD. It's going to be used in a bedroom system. Recommendations so far: Rel, B&W ASW 600 series, ML Grotto. I'm leaning towards Grotto. Theears please don't say Descent or Depth. It's out of my price range. They do sound super good though and I love the looks. They are the best for music that I've heard so far.

And oh, it's gotta be smallish. SVS is out of the question. And I am a skeptic that they would match well with faster speakers like dynes or electrostats.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

-UP

Since I am TheEAR,not just any ear.2.gif

I will recomend what I know well

Sunfire Super Junior

Carver Knight Shadow

Velodyne SPL800

All very compact and of very high quality,all capable of a true 30Hz.By pick for price performance leader among these three.The Carver Knight Shadow,not many know this sub,but it outperforms the Junior and SPL800 easy...for less!

The Knight Shadow uses a single 10" very long throw woofer in a sealed cabinet driven by Bob Carver's very efficient amps.A proven design with no boom,no vent noise and above all CLEAN output to below 30Hz,its quite potent to 25Hz!!For its size and cost its a winner in all respects

Out of curiosity Theears, does the knight shadow keep up with your contour 1.1s? Specs wise my a52se's are pretty close to your 1.1s. It has the 1.3 mk2 woofer and a contour S series-like esotec tweeter. So if it mates well with your 1.1's then it should be great with mine. I'm just worried about the speed and musicality. Because I've heard the True Sub Signature before and it went hard and low but didn't strike me as exceptionally fast. It could have been the setup but I don't know. I will look into the super and knight shadow although knight shadow is hard to find these days in toronto...

Thanks guys... the search continues...

LOL

The Sunfire Signature is not capable of upper bass like so many so called subs,Sunfires are solid from 60Hz down.

Take an M&K the so called "musical" subs,they are no faster than the SInatuire down low,they can climg past 150hz with ease,creating the PUNCH most mistake for speed.

No sub can be fast below 60hz as they only have to pulsate 60 times in a second to generate 60Hz.Try the Carver Knight Shadow you should be very satisfied with its performance.And this sub has some punch missing in the active/PR designs under the Sunfire brand name.

Yes the Carver KS matches very well with my Contour 1.1's.

Hey Theears.

Have you ever heard Dynaudio subs? There's a new one coming out soon called the sub 300. Pretty modest amp but supposedly their subs do for subwoofers what their oem woofers did for speakers. Which is super tight clean deep accurate bass for the buck.

Just think if their bookshelves go down to 40hz what their subs could do... I'm just going by word of mouth here. The owner of the store I shop at listened to them recently and said he preferred it over martin logan subs and that they were among the mostm usical he has ever heard.