TV help!

Groovie

I just got an HDTV cable converter box and I have a Toshiba 34" widescreen tube. On the HD channels the picture is dispayed in letter box on the outside edges if the signal is not broacasting in widescreen. My question is that in this mode the outer vertical edges are slightly bowed in in the middle. My buddy played karaoke on my tv the other night off his laptop and the curviture was very evident then too. TV is just over one year old. IS this a minor or major problem? I do not see any way to make adjustments in the menu. There are options to tilt the screen and move it slightly, but nothing to straighten out the edge of the screen. Any TV experts out there.

----------------

On 2/10/2004 2:34:03 AM Groovie wrote:

I just got an HDTV cable converter box and I have a Toshiba 34" widescreen tube. On the HD channels the picture is dispayed in letter box on the outside edges if the signal is not broacasting in widescreen. My question is that in this mode the outer vertical edges are slightly bowed in in the middle. My buddy played karaoke on my tv the other night off his laptop and the curviture was very evident then too. TV is just over one year old. IS this a minor or major problem? I do not see any way to make adjustments in the menu. There are options to tilt the screen and move it slightly, but nothing to straighten out the edge of the screen. Any TV experts out there.

----------------

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I've never seen this on a Toshiba. Sounds like you've got a CRT gun alignment issue. Probably needs to be serviced.

Actually I did buy a warranty, so I take it from the snide remark that this will be covered. That a good thing, I'll call those turkeys today. Purchased the Tweeter extended in house service warranty and the tube is doubley covered by tweeter and toshiba's 2 year warranty. I'll let ya know how it all comes out.

Exactly, that's why I asked what the costs would be sometimes it is cheaper to do it yourself, the warranties can be such a hassel. I contacted HiFi Buys, a Tweeter company and they were very friendly, and a guy is coming out today! I just hope it can be fixed, they discontinued the Toshiba line at Tweeter, in 34" widescreen tube all they have is panasonic and sony, I'ld rather not go Panasonic, if it needs replaced and the Sony won't fit in the cabinet.