Question about matching surrounds

Freak On A Leash

Last year I decided to upgrade my HT because my Yahmaha reciever died on me. So, I purchased a Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX, a pair of RS-3II's as my surrounds, a RC-3II center, and I already had Chorus II's for my mains and I put my KG-1's for my 7.1. I also bought a KSW-12 for the system, but was really disappointed with the performance. I am now waiting for my new SVS 20-39PC+ to arrive shortly.

I guess my question is about my KG-1's....I was thinking of upgrading them and wanted to ask what others thought. I was having an idea of purchasing a pair of Herasey's for my backing surrounds, but wasn't sure how they would stack up with the others. I don't mind the KG-1's, they actually sound pretty nice in a 7.1 surround, but I thought there could be better choices.

Any opinions?

Freak-

I have a very similar speaker system to yours, and I don't know that I would change much. If anything, find a pair of Chorus/Forte/Quartets for surrounds to replace the RS-3, and you will have a better timber match. I don't know how the RC-3 does as a center, but if you can find an Academy at a reasonable price (good luck there) or a KV-3, then things would sound pretty good.

I figure you don't have tons of room, hence the small KG-1 for back surround. If you have more room, maybe look at KG 2.2/2.5 line. Or if you have lots of room, grab another pair of Chorus/Forte/Quartets for back surround. But you are correct, the little KG 1 series is quite a fine speaker.

All the aforementioned speakers show up on eBay regularily as well as here in the forums. Search around and members are usually turning their gear over. Normally you get a better price than eBay and folks here look out for each other. Good luck

Thanks for the input. When I was listening to my RC-3II's and RS-3II's up at Audio King I asked the guy what would be a good match "sound wise" for my Chorus II's and KG-1's and he recommended these 2 out of the reference series. I will admit that they do sound very good and blend nicely.

Yes, the KG'1's are a fine speaker and I bought them because at the time when I bought them the person that sold them to me told me that they would be a good match for eachother and I was under the presumption that it was normal to have larger mains than surrounds at the time. Obviously I was a n00b in this area and if I knew then what I know now, I would have bought some Forte's possibly. It didn't come until later that I was interested in HT and bought my first Center Speaker.

I'll look around on Ebay for some KG-2.2's, maybe I can find a decent price on them. Other than my KSW-12 (which is getting replaced next week) I think my HT is pretty nice, at least for my standards.