bigger rear speakers?

montigue

I have the Klipsch KG 5.2 main speaker's with a 2.2 center. klipsch rear speaker match for this setup is the KG 1.2's. This system is about 7 years old.

The newer receivers are dedicating more power to the rear channels. For instance my old pro logic receiver output was 65wx3 & 25wx2. Now the new receiver's are spreading the wattage more evenly to all 5 channels. My new receiver's output is 75wx3 & 75wx2.

My question is this...Would'nt it be better to have more powerfull speakers for the rear channel's. I was thinking about getting another set of KG 5.2's for the rear instead of the matching 1.2's?

Any comment's?

Monty

mont, i may be biased as i really like those big rears Wink.gif, but i think you're instincts are correct. w/ those rear channels going full power/full range these days, imo go that route unless you're listening to 100% HT.

5 channel stereo music really kicks that way. & i do set my rears to large for some nice directional bass from back there for HT. & i would think having matching fronts & rears is the best way to go for music.

usually the surround decision is mainly between either direct or wdst. of course the ideal would be to have both direct (like a recording studio) & wdst (180 degree HT) types for surrounds, & a receiver that auto switches to each set depending whether a music or HT sound mode. but i had to draw the line somewhere Biggrin.gif

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnects & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

Boa, I couldn't agree with you more on the side-surround issue. I hope you draw that line in the sand... and let the tide of consumer awareness reshape the 6.1 beach... and its 7.1 son! If the speaker industry can build as specialized a thoroughbred as a Klispchorn... why couldn't a full sized dual purpose side surround be born in Hope... for those who care enough to hear the very best... Klipsch HT.cwm4.gif HornEd

PS: I have a growing concern for your Vel's extended sub hospital stay... where can we avid "BoaPost" readers send flowers?

ed, guess i made that decision to stick w/ merely the 5.1 set-up when i got that new marantz sr-8000. always the future to ponder though Wink.gif

& yea they did mess up that velo good when i took it in just to remove the broken rca plug tip from the jack.

still can't believe the guy let it leave his shop w/o even checking for power. when i went to power it up it musta blew something because he hooked it back up wrong. think the amp is somewhere around LA or hopefully it's back when i return from seattle. they did give me that lil velo 12" for a loaner, but i'm really missing the big beast.

guess it never hurts to grill those guys some before they return things. Smash.gif

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnects & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

Montigue,

For HT, your 1.2s should be just fine. However, you may notice a bit of difference for 5 channel stereo (should your receiver have it).

Should you decide to get rid of your 1.2s, let me know. In any event, let us know what you end up doing, and if it made any difference or not.

t-man

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KG 2.2v (center)

KG 1 (rears)

KSW-12 (sub)

Denon AVR 681/1601

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Kenwood LVD700 LD

Sony CD changer

Sony 27" Trinitron

Sony PLX I

T-man...I really am in a undecisive state of mind right now figuring out where I want to go with the HT. It's possible I might even have the 5.2's & the 2.2 for sale if I get a chance at a good price on some KLF's in the bay area.

Darn it I should have never got that C-7!! now I want to upgrade again!!!! cwm45.gif

This message has been edited by montigue on 06-25-2001 at 02:50 PM

well i picked up 2 more KG 2.2's so Im going to put them in for the rears. I do want to thank all that replied though...thank you

Sony Wega flat screen

Harman Kardon AVR65

Sony DTS,DDS DVD player

Sony Hi-Fi VCR player

Klipsch KG 5.2 oiled oak (main)

Klipsch KLF C-7 black (center)

klipsch KG 2.2 oiled oak (rears)

6.1 huh ..hhmmm that would be cool to have a rear center channel indeed. But, before i invest in the 6.1 receiver I would have to see more DVD's come out in that format. I still dont see 6.1 being a mainstream format. I think the DTS is what everybody is going with now.. right?

You have to admit that the sound formats are changing so fast its hard to keep up. I recently upgraded from pro logic to DD and DTS. (and what an awesome upgrade it was!!) but yet 2 other formats have came out since..6.1 and 7.1.

Im all for a better sound stage but I think that the changes shouldnt be so fast. The 6.1 sounds appealing but if I do go that route I can garuntee I wont be upgrading anytime soon after.

Sony Wega flat screen

Harman Kardon AVR65

Sony DTS,DDS DVD player

Sony Hi-Fi VCR player

Klipsch KG 5.2 oiled oak (main)

Klipsch KLF C-7 black (center)

klipsch KG 2.2 oiled oak (rears)

Im going to post a pic of this magnifacent system for all those who care to see, very soon. lol Smile.gif

Montigue, 6.1 is far, far better than you now realize... and, right now, the best thing about it is that better receivers automatically convert 5.1 into 6.1 via a matrix of the rear surround 5.1 channels. I have yet to encounter a 5.1 movie that does not sound better in 6.1. Putting more speakers in the rear array (such as 7.1) makes a marginal improvement... but having one strategically placed rear speaker and two opposing full-range side speakers makes a far more natural sounding rear array.

The big difference in multi-channel HT sound is to more closely recreate the sound dynamics of the original scene... the more discrete channels, the less one has to depend on the listener's room acoustics to fill in the gaps. Essentially, sound "dead" HT rooms allow discrete multi-channel speakers to more closely replicate the intent of a movie's sound engineers... and the horns of Klipsch do that better than any other "popularly priced" HT environment! Sound deadened rooms help reduce the negative effects of standing waves... particularly in the multiple larger woofer environments that I prefer.

Admittedly, some films have far better sound engineering than others. The newest DVD release of "Ben Hur" has it all over "The Sound of Music" when it comes to sound engineering.

Of course, I also much prefer having front effects speakers to create a more expansive (okay, so it's expensive too) front sound stage. Oh, yeah, and I do like to hear every bit of the pipe organ's deep throated rumble of impending doom on the next 6.1 release of "The Perils of Pauline". handlebar.gif LOL

Seriously, the psychoacoustic dynamics of 6.1 (even the matrixed 5.1 variety) is much more like the use or non use of a front center channel than you might think. While phantom channels do quite well (My son and I used a phantom on my 18' x 9' front projection screen with a "home brewed 7.1 matrix" sound system in our 60 seat demo theater... two years BEFORE Dolby ProLogic came on the scene!)

Sure, it takes some equipment to have discrete sound from multiple sources... but the biggest ingredient is a $35 analog SPL meter and the knowledge to minimize the effect of standing waves and un-natural coloration from overly "live" room environments.

I don't have the best or most expensive HT environment now... but people do seem to come away with a sense of awe. It is all a matter of creating the right sound image in the sweet spot... the one between the ears. cwm24.gif Go for it! HornEd

------------------

"Living with Legends"

KLF C7 Center

KLF 30 L&R Mains

KLF 30 L&R Surrounds

KLF 30 L&R Rear Effects

KLF 10 L&R Front Effects

Twin SVS CS-Ultra Pwr Sub

KSW-15 Pwr Sub (rear)

Speaker Support Systems:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65"

Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver