Waltham Integration amp

howismydriving

Howdy. I have read a few comments about this amp here and at audioasylum and would be very interested in getting my hands on one. Who sells them? Also, has anyone driven non-horn or Single driver loudspeakers with them? I have some 92db eff 2 ways with a simple 8 ohm load that I would like to drive them with. I like the idea of the low distortion at low wattage, since I don't listen at high levels, and live in a fairly small appartment with thin walls.

Thanks

Ben

I really like mine.

Since I acquired the Scott LK-48; it gets less play.

I am trying to get a pair of KSB 3.1 or 2.1 cheap to put in the bedroom with the P6D pwm amp from waltham integration.

Sounds nice with CHorus IIs. Very open detailed and "distortion free" (if such a phenomena exists).

Not for Heavy Metal concert volumes. Amazing for vocals and unamplified accoustic music.

Next trial is to play the amp into LaScalas for extended listening.

Dean should try one on his K-Horns.

I really like mine as well. VERY good sound for the price!

Leo will have to chime in re: power, the 6 watts worked just fine on my k-horns but they are MUCH more efficient than your speakers.

I would think of them as 300B SETs, if those work in your system with your music, then Leo´s will too and without any hiss, hum or tubes to wear out! Contact him.

Regards, tony

I like Leo's little amp a lot. Great deal and absolutely an excellent choice for a small apartment dweller with limited space and/or a desire for a no heat, worry free, leave it on device.

On the other hand, in my opinion, this DOES NOT sound like a 300B SET amp. Nor does it sound like a 2A3 SET amp. It actually does not exhibit the dimension, depth, and harmonic richness of SET. It does have a very nice clarity with very little SS artifacts. I do not think the bass is as realistic as 2A3 nor does is it quite as transparent in the ultimate sense. Despite the wattage rating, it does not have as much headroom as my 2A3 amps nor are the clipping characteristics as benign. When it's pushed too far, it does not exhibit the typical tube clipping traits which are far less obvious as SS.

Before you think this is heavy criticism, I'll add it is one of the best non-tube amps I have heard on high efficiency speakers. While not as much headroom as something like a Monarchy SM-70, another great bargain (but 10 times the size and heat), it does sound to me like a more pure presentation with a bit less brightness. Within it's range, I would say it's more refined than the Monarchy SM-70.

But a 300B or 2A3 it is not. I dont think Leo would claim this either. I lived with this amp for four months during the summer months as my main system amp and it did a great job. But putting the 2A3 Monos back in service brought out the distinct differences.

Still, I highly recommend this little amp and dont know of anything exactly like it for anywhere NEAR this money. I will be interested to see the upgraded model this fall. I have one of the first 10 prototypes.

kh

howismydriving,

I have used the P6D with Klipsch bookshelf speakers rated at 94dB. It sounded fine at low levels, but I didn't consider it satisfactory.

I aften demo the amp with RB-5s, which are rated at 96dB, I think. That is sufficiently louder so I consider it reasonable, as do people to whom I have loaned the system.

Unless you listen at very low levels, I would consider the P6 to be underpowered for your 92dB application. Parasound makes a "Zamp" product that is rated at 20 Watts or slightly higher. I have heard it with speakers of similar efficiency to yours, and it sounds good .. also it's inexpensive.

Leo

Ben,

Right now I'm listening to my 92db efficient altecs with a 15 watt fisher X-100 and it sounds fantastic (14x24 room). More than enough power and bass slam. You can usually find these for about $200 - $250 but will probably need a rebuild unless you get lucky. Maybe you could find one already rebuilt for around $400 or a tad higher.

Tony,

That's a good reference. Although my experience differs from Kelly's in that I get more power out of the P6 than I do from the 2A3 SET, I would expect the power to be similar to a 300B amp. However, one really doesn't want to clip the P6 .. no softness there at all .. it just clips.

Leo