Using TUBE amp with existing non-preout Receiver

Johnny TN

Ok I'm a newb...I have all these speakers but would love to run my La Scalas with a tube amp. My Onkyo601 does NOT have speaker preouts so I am not sure what to do. What kind of additional equip. do I need and what kind of tube amps should I be looking at. I would prefer not to have 2 systems.. I want to have this all work for a HT surround setup.

If you don't have pre-amp outputs on the Onkyo, it's the end of the discussion unless you buy another receiver or pre-amp to feed the tube amp (or you have sources you can connect directly to the tube amp that have volume controls on them - some CD players, for example, have a volume control allowing direct connection to an amp).

Johnny,

Just buy a tube integrated and use a switchbox to swap recievers to your lascalas. My HT and 2-channel listed in my sig is all in the same room. I use the corns for the mains of my HT with the sony and for 2-channel with the scott. Best of both worlds and easy as pie.

Even though you won't get to use the tubes for your HT, it'll be worth it for music. Trust me.

I think it is better to use a tube preamp with a solid state amp to get that "old tube sound" with Heritage speakers. My Outlaw 950 Home Theater Preamp has a bypass option that I can use with my Dynaco tube preamp to send a top flight stereo signal to my Klipschorns. IMHO it's the early stage preamplification that shapes the sound the most. And the solid state "umph", especially in the bass, provided by my Outlaw 7100 amp cann't be beat. Anyone else had a similar experience?

does your reciever have a tape output or record output or something like that? cuz if the tube amp was only for the mains, then you can use this.

edit - i took the time to hunt down a picture of the back and yes it does have a "record out"...try plugging this into your tube amp 1.gif

edit2 - i don't know how this would affect using the mains for HT use...are you using the same speakers for 2 channel as you are for HT? i also noticed that the onkyo has pre-outs for the zone2 as well which might prove to be another good option.

Yes Drwho you are right.. I do have tape outputs and zone2 outputs...I guess 2 channel is not the issue because I could easily use a switch box, but you correct in assuming I want to use both the lascala as my mains in 2ch and 5 channel. I guess I'm trying to get the best of both worlds and not quite sure about the best way to go about it.

Sorry for my deadended response above. I hinted that there were options (if you bought other gear, like an integrated tube amp or a source switch or something like that) but was too tired to expand on it. Better off not posting at all...

Glad others replied. I'm using a tube amp myself, along with a SS amp and a source switch, to drive my Chorus speakers.

Dont worry about it Doug.. I know how it is.. I am a mod on other forums I know more about..golf and rx-7's...and I know how newbs can be 9.gif anyways sounds like for ease of use...I really should just get a receiver with preouts..or go full separates.....I want to be able to use my lascalas as the mains to my HT and not have to buy another DVD/CD/SACD for 2ch.

On 2/11/2004 9:55:27 PM garymd wrote:

Johnny,

Just buy a tube integrated and use a switchbox to swap recievers to your lascalas. My HT and 2-channel listed in my sig is all in the same room. I use the corns for the mains of my HT with the sony and for 2-channel with the scott. Best of both worlds and easy as pie.

Even though you won't get to use the tubes for your HT, it'll be worth it for music. Trust me.

----------------

Gary,

What switchbox are you using?

MarkBK

Johnny,

----------------

Gary,

MarkBK

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 2/13/2004 11:55:45 AM MarkBK wrote:

Johnny,

----------------

Gary,

MarkBK

----------------

Mark, it's the niles audio, I have 1 at home, call me and I can have my guy get it for you2.gif