LaScala porting mods ? Pictures anyone ?

BackBurner

I don't know about this mod. The clarity and realism of the bass on Khorns and LaScalas comes from their horn loaded design - porting could ruin them, maybe you would get some lower bass but I bet it would be boomy and less distinct (might be ok for rap and sound effects or the nostolgic "juke-box boom" of the early R&R era). A good sub you could switch on and off would be a better bet, I would think.

I am the one who has posted the drawings.

The technical info was posted by djk, and a search on the Audio Asylum forums will find tons of info from him. He is opinionated, but had real world experience with the mods. I have personally heard cabinets he has built (none with the bass mod), and have great respect for him. Just do it. The cost is really low. He says no one he has done the mod for has wanted to switch back.

NOSValves was going to try this on a pair he has, but I think he has been working on his tube project and not gotten to it yet.

Marvel

----------------

On 2/13/2004 8:19:10 AM Marvel wrote:

I am the one who has posted the drawings.

The technical info was posted by djk, and a search on the Audio Asylum forums will find tons of info from him. He is opinionated, but had real world experience with the mods. I have personally heard cabinets he has built (none with the bass mod), and have great respect for him. Just do it. The cost is really low. He says no one he has done the mod for has wanted to switch back.

NOSValves was going to try this on a pair he has, but I think he has been working on his tube project and not gotten to it yet.

Marvel

----------------

Thanx marvel , i might have to wander over to the mental asylum and check it out. I swore off that nut house once before but maybe it's time to check in again.

----------------

On 2/13/2004 5:29:28 PM Frode wrote:

I've just done the mod on my LS bass bins. They now look like the original LS with mid/tweeter horn replaced by two 4" ports. I'll have pictures ready in a week or so.

Frode

----------------

Did you do the upper porting mod or the lower taking off the trap door porting mod ?

i did the djk mod on a pair of peavey fh1 bottoms similiar to lascalla & belle. does it work ??? about 10 db more output at 40 hz. i would say the mod works great!!!. i do not understand how or why. maybe someone could explain what is going on???? how about you mr. djk??? how about buddahboy??? or john albright??? somebuddy??? anybuddy???

I built them from scratch. The ports are autosound items, you should get them in a car audio shop. The setup sounds good, but I think it can be better. I use an active XO on the bass(200Hz, 12dB/oct), nothing on the Oris. I hope some changes in the XO will give me even better sound.

Frode

I believe the internal hieght is 9.5 inches,marvel you are welcome to chime in, and the space is the external size of your lascalas.

I finally got off my keester and ordered the 4 inch ports from parts express today to start this mod.(and some parts for modding a type AA i received from a forum member)Hopefully the nasty weather will hold up for awhile and I can get cracking on these.

Have a problem here. Have slate floors and moving the speakers out to work on them scratches the floor up. Any ideas on how to keep that from happening?

May you all have a wonderfull day! Randy

Original text from djk:

I'm looking for a total net volume of about 4.8 cu ft. I figure the stock back volume is about 2.25 cu ft. Call it an internal height of about 9" (22.5 X 22.5 X 8.70 = 4404 cu in = 2.55 cu ft). Two 4" ID by 10" long ports displace about .15 cu ft so 10" outside is close enough.

This would change a bit with the JBLs, but Frode has the two ports a couple inches longer than Dennis had stated. Dennis also spec'd out filling the extra cavity with fiberglass (or other acoustic material. I hate fiberglass).

Randy,

Could you get some scrap carpet to put under the LS, with the pile facing the slate floor? Pull the speaker out by pulling on the carpet. I have used this method to move some heavy items before, with great success.

I'm going to try to build something else this summer, but it isn't a Klipsch design, I'll reserve comments until later. The rate I'm going, I won't get to them anyway. 15.gif

Marvel