To the guys in the business....

I was not really sure which forum to put this question in, but I figure that I'll try here.

Currently, I am in my second year in the Electrical Engineering School at Cornell University. I am looking to get some information on the backgrounds of some of the people at Klipsch and similar companies. There are, of course, obvious questions like schools and degree plans, but I think I am looking for more personal opinions and advice.

Although the working of a speaker has always intrigued me, I am currently interested in amplifier design. My friends all call me somewhat of a geek because I have circuits on breadboards lying all over my room. I just finished my second solid state amp (I have an enclosure left to build) using dual IC's, LM3886t, from NSC. I also adapted it to drive guitar level input, and included 3 types of distortion.

My question to those in the audio engineering field is this: what type of background would you recommend for someone looking to get in this field? Heavy EE, or Mech. E? I would imagine that this would vary depending on the project to which you are assigned (ie. crossovers, enclosures, etc.). I would imagine that fluid mechanics is very important, along with waves from phyiscs. Can anyone provide me with information and/or opinions on all of this? Is there any demand for engineers of this sort in the market today? in 4-5 years?

I have always grown up with a philosophy on work (largely influenced by my dad) that says that you should do something that you truly enjoy and love. I can say, at this point at least, that this field is something that I love, but I am looking for insight to what it is like to actually be a part of it.

I really appreciate all of your help and responses.

Brandon Richter

bcr5@cornell.edu; brandon_richter@hotmail.com

Hi

I am suprised that no one has replyed to your

thread,I will try and make a few suggjestions

#1 Attend CEDIA and CES this is where you will find

a lot of manufacuters

#2 Attend the Professional A/V Retailers Assc.

seminar (PARA)

#3Apply for the free Residetial Systems

publication www.resmagonline.com

In the back you will find a Career Market Place

section where Manufatures and Installers are looking for Professional help

#4 Be prepaired for long hours at low pay

you dont enter the A/V buisness for the money

hours invested VS money earned is very low

Even if you are qualified for the position

you may have to spend time at a lower position to prove yourself

Brandon,

I am not in the audio field, so take my suggestions with a grain of salt.

If you are interested in getting into amplifier design, you will need a EE degree. Most everything in audio is more EE related than ME. However, you are correct in that ME knowledge is also important since the end-product, music, is mechanical energy. I would suggest staying with EE, but also taking some additional ME classes as electives. Heat transfer and vibrations would be two very good ME electives for you to take. Fluid mechanics, as you suggested, could also provide you with useful knowledge. In getting your EE degree, you will likely have to take quite a bit of physics classes as well as other engineering discipline classes that should give you a good foundation for going into the audio industry.

I'm sure there are others here that could give you good advice as well.

Good luck!

Brandon,

First off, to spite my continuous persuit of engineering stuff, I am NOT a BSEE. I am the product of experience and experimentation. If there is any single thing that I wish I had none and didn't do it's persue higher mathematics! It's a tool that applies to every engineering area. Learn it, parctice it and MASTER it! It's my weakest area and I suffer for it! I am just no good at it.

P.S. -- And my spelling is pretty bad too! 8^)

Al K.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

The reason I suggested attending the

Seminars and the various shows is that

most often the manufactures will bring the product

engineers with them to answer questions.This

would be of great benefit to you.You could pick there brain a little to see if this is acually what you want,

and may also pick up suggestions on how to enter the field if you are cordial enough

L8TR