Why im not buying the DD5.1

Erukian

the ddts switch box is stilly imo, why can't they integrate it into the back of the ddts in the first place? I mean whets so hard about adding a lil button on the front and 3 more mini jacks in the back. This would not change the way the ddts looks. Furthermore i can't stand the way it looks, it feels really cheap, there is no display, its sits upright (what is up with that?) Its very light weight which is also unattractive. I dislike the fact it uses creative labs stupid 3 channels in a 2 channel input jack. Thats very non standard and it will not work with any other 7.1 soundcard other then the ZS. Nor will 7.1 speakers work unless they are the gig works or inspires. If Klipsch makes the 2.1 ultras I will make a 7 speaker set up, but I wont be able to use the ddts for that.

=====================================================================================

Creative is the king in the pc sound business, at least for now and in the near future. No ones come close enough to threaten its position so far. However, it comes long way. The major reason is the complex pc environment. Speakers and receivers are much easier to forcus on. Like many users know A2/ZS should have better sound than average dvd player, at least as good as ddts/dd5.1. I mean we shouldn't need decoder/receiver at all in PC, just speakers. But they will come up something better periodically to maintain and/or grow their bussiness. What we are talking about will more or less reflect upon their new products.

Amy,

Considering all the features except the 2x optical + 2x spdif coax I listed on the 1st post are on Creative's option. And comparing Creatives to the "dream decoder" by Klipsch that I made up :) I would pay 150-200 bucks for it.

The speaker world is really compedative, you see systems come by that dont sound bad at all just vanish. If your going to undercut Creative I think you should consider this. The klipsch name has value, especially to people on these forums. They see two similarly featured items (ie creative/klipsch) and they'll chose klipsch. So your name can tack on 20-25 bucks to the decoder price. So say you *match* the creative decoder in features, 175 would be reasonable. But say you exceed it with the creative features + 5 channel equalization etc + 2x toslink 2x spdif. I would be most likely willing to pay just over 200 for that. Maybe 220 max.

I think that's resonable.

Same here, I would keep my current DD-5.1 and get a Newer upgraded version with more features. But What I would also want is more control on the unit itself. Rather than rely on the remote to set it up, why not put buttons on the unit to set it up? The remote can readily be lost (for me it happened a few times, my 2 year old nephew made it his little airplane for a while 7.gif ), and more Digital Inputs would be nice to hook more devices. Like 007 there should be a switch sort of function to bypass the decoder so we can get 5.1 or more in games from analog outputs, or perhaps put 5.1 analog inputs (Nice for DVD players like the Pioneer DV-563a, which can output DVD-A or SACD) in it and make a new Setting for 6ch analog output, like there is with Line 1,2, Aux. Hell, I would be prepared to pay $250 if that could be integrated.

----------------

On 2/24/2004 2:07:17 AM tstat wrote:

OK.....My yamaha receiver has pre-outs as well. 1 for the subwoofer, 2 main jacks, rear center, center, and rear surround (2). So my question is how do you hook up the Ultra's?

Toni

----------------

The same way you would hook the Ultras up to the dd-5.15.gif

Use Y-adapters with 1/8" minis on 1 side and dual channel RCA on the other.

OK all is set up and it sounds GREAT. Actually sounds better to me than the DD5.1 which I just dis-assembled. I have a Sony DVD player optically hooked in as well as digital coax in from my external SB audigy. Another cool thing is the Viewsonic video unit I purchased that allows me to hook up the extra 21" monitor for the DVD as well as Cable TV. All run through the AV as well!

I am a happy camper. I purchased the receiver with all this in mind but did not get the fact that I did have pre-outs until reading this thread. Thanks for all your input!

Toni

----------------

On 2/25/2004 2:37:43 AM tstat wrote:

OK all is set up and it sounds GREAT. Actually sounds better to me than the DD5.1 which I just dis-assembled. I have a Sony DVD player optically hooked in as well as digital coax in from my external SB audigy. Another cool thing is the Viewsonic video unit I purchased that allows me to hook up the extra 21" monitor for the DVD as well as Cable TV. All run through the AV as well!

I am a happy camper. I purchased the receiver with all this in mind but did not get the fact that I did have pre-outs until reading this thread. Thanks for all your input!

Toni

----------------

Glad to hear it5.gif I'm expecting my pio vsx-d812k to arrive in the mail sometime this week.