Mini systems

matthew2

Hey! I gatta a mini system, and i want to buy new speakers!! It puts out 80WPC, and the bookshelves (there pretty good though!!) that came with the stereo aren't what Im looking for anymore. Are the LESS pricey Klipsch shelf speakers going to sound better then what I already have?? BASS!! I have "duel hybrid wofers" and they pack quite a punch for a minisystem. I need to know what kind of advantages there will be to buying high quality bookshelf speakers, or some nice floorstanding speakers. Will a 91DB rating be alot better then what I have? (I cant say for sure what it is, round 88DB) Also, I cant blow the amp or anything, right?? I prob' shouldnt say this, but would Cerwin-vega! E-715's be a good choice for loud music? (LOUD!!) And if so, what about movies!!???? My speakers are loud when I'm puttin 95W into them, there HARSH though. My dads component system only puts out50WPC, but its as louder then myn. The speakers are really efficent. What should I do about myn? I cant aford a whole new system

I have:

MHC-BX5

95WPC @ 10% THD

80WPC @ 10% THD (I know, weird specs')

50WPC @ 0.07% THD

------------------

Matthew

Oh ya, I think you would be happy with the preformance sound, and the Klipsch speakers are probobly more effeciant also, so they would get louder with out sounding real bad... Just dont max it out, keep it in the low red if you have it... if there is a RED. or if its numberd, keep it 3-4 away from the highest.

Go by your price range:

Floorstanding (all MSRP):

SF-1 = 500

SF-2 = 650

RF-3 = 800

Bookshelf (MSRP):

SB-1 = 250

SB-2 = 350

SB-3 = 450

RB-3 = 650

RB-5 = 800

Heres an alternative....

go to Ebay.

Bid on a pair of heresys... you could probobly pick up a pair for 500-700.

Those would run great, and sound great.

I love Heresys if you cant tell....

Thats what I would do though... if I had the money.

------------------

Living Room:

Yamaha Natural Sound A-500 Stereo Amplifier

2 Klipsch Heresys on A switch

2 Fisher STV-873 on B switch

My Room:

Klipsch Pro Medias

2 Fisher Surrounds

Yeah, I got a good mini system, trust me. I really pissed off the staff at all the stores turning metallica up max, and the system I got was the most inprssive. So what do you mean by "red"? And why wouldn't I be able to max out the volume. Thats what I do now, and a lot of stuff doesn't distort. So would $600 (CDN' dollers); 'speakers not handle it?? That would be a RIP. And can I ever upgrade the power of the mini system, or am I going to just have to start building a component system with a $5.90 H job!!?!?

------------------

Matthew

This message has been edited by matthew2 on 06-27-2001 at 01:37 AM

matthew:

Welcome to the world of audio and that constant desire to upgrade...it is an affliction that we have, so far, found to be untreatable.

Most Mini-Systems are generally made as an inexpensive, compact alternative to separate components. These systems are designed to work as-is out of the box with ease of installation. The "components" that come with them are designed to work together, with the particular speakers designed to highlight the benefits of the amplifier (inexpensive high power) and de-emphasize the weak points of it (high levels of distortion and noise). When you add different speakers, such as Klipsch, which are very revealing speakers which bring out subtle details in music, they may also reveal those shortcomings of that amplifier. This is not a definite, just a possibility. When you say that you can "max out the volume" and a lot of "stuff" doesn't distort, actually there is a lot of bad things going on with that amp at that volume setting. It is loaded with distortion and is "clipping" which means it has gone beyond it's capability of producing it's best sound and is feeding a lot of bad sound to the speakers. You may not hear it, but it is there, and with another set of speakers you might have to cover your ears at that level. The new combination may sound bad due to a better set of speakers being able to reproduce more of the music, along with more of the "garbage". Actually, when the volume is above about halfway is when the amplifier is starting to produce problems. The speakers that come with that system though, once again, are designed to mask some of the problems. Those systems are more designed to be "maxed out on volume" by the beginning audio enthusiast without blowing up, although there is a point that even a mini system will become "toast".

Unfortunately, most Mini Systems are not made to be upgraded for the above and several other reasons. They are a good "beginning" system or are good for a small size system in a den or office for "background" music. As your love of audio grows, hopefully your wallet will also grow with it, allowing you to start your own separate system and continue to add to and update it as time goes on.

PhilH