Anyone Using Tubes in HT?

Strabo

In my search for the right amplification to go with klipsch I am becoming more and more dissatisfied with the SS amps that I've tried. I haven't tried them all, far from it, but I figured my current Lexicon (made by Bryston) would be the end of my quest. But as a dealer warned, it is on the bright side and suggested Shurborne, which I may try next. I was thinking, at this price point I could put together three stereo tube amps to run my HT.

Does or has anyone use(d) tubes in HT? If so, how much power do you need? Where do you have it crossed over? Would you explain the benefits/shortcomings?

Will I still be in the nightmare of getting a too bright (or dull) sounding amp?

It should be known that I have no experience with tube amps.

P.S. I'm not looking for suggestions on other SS amps to try here. That can be covered in another thread.

Strabo, I think your SS system is quite good and that your problem may be the total combination of said parts. You have some very revealing components that are not colored, play quite flat, and generally reproduce what is in the recording without adding anything to it. Your speakers, Forte II, do have some coloring to them as that is how the Klipsch speakers just are. They are also horn loaded which, to some, can cause a very bright, forward, some may even say harsh, sound. As much as I like the Forte II speakers I think your total system has become a mismatched set of high quality components that do not work well together. As I have no tube experience I can not offer any real world advice. You now have a choice, upgrade/change main speakers to get something that is not horn loaded so they may be less bright. Or keep the Forte II's and get a tube amp that will not be over taxed because of the efficiency of the Forte's and see what happens with the "warm" sound of tubes. Just keep in mind that tubes come with their own drawbacks. Either way the warden will be giving you the look. This might the chance to get the Dynaudio's you have been eying. Good luck.

----------------

On 2/18/2004 9:40:28 AM cleandan wrote:

...I think your total system has become a mismatched set of high quality components that do not work well together.

----------------

You nailed it with this statement. Hence, my question. I've heard my same set-up on other speakers and it sounded pretty freaking amazing. But on my Forte's, not so much.

With all the talk of having the correct amplification to make Klipsch sing (which I believe is true for any speaker manufacturer) should I be looking at tubes? The point of my question was to get a feel from someone that has tried it.

----------------

This might the chance to get the Dynaudio's you have been eying. Good luck.

----------------

Don't let The Ear hear see this.6.gif

Besides, I don't know where I'd go, or what I'd do without Klipsch.

----------------

This might the chance to get the Dynaudio's you have been eying. Good luck.

----------------

You sneak. You knew I'd fall for that, which would put my current speakers on the auction block. Even though I found out yesterday that you were looking for another set of Klipsch I still spent the morning drooling over some fancy over priced noise boxes.

Quit it! You can't have my Forte's.2.gif

Man I wish I could remember the address of the web page where I saw the pic of the HT with ALL tube amplification. Seems to me I was looking at Jolida stuff and I think maybe it was some outfit that mods Jolida amps for customers. Do a search on either Jolida or surf audiogon, maybe I linked to it from there. I just don't remember for sure.

Be glad you don't have the RF-7's if you think the Forte's are bright. My Forte's weren't great with the Yamaha gear I have, but it's even worse with the RF-7's I have now. Bryston is probably out of my budget anyway, guess it's a good thing.

I'm guessing you are referring to the Butler 5150 from here.

http://www.butleraudio.com/main.html

That's out of my budget too. I was thinking of trying three Dynaco ST-70's and was hoping maybe someone tried it already. I only have about $2.5k to work with.

The Lexicon isn't way to bright but it's brighter than I wanted. My previous amp was an Anthem PVA-5 which was on the dull side.

Trying to find the happy medium.

Tube amps and HT work fine.

Just stay away from the low wattage SET amps.

Find a good 30-60 WPC tube amp and you will be fine.

In my Heritage HT I run vintage SS amps. I have three McIntosh MC-250's running in Mono for the front three channels. And a pair of NAD 2200's driving the sides and rears currently. I may go Mc-SS for the sides and rears.

I got a chance to hear Craig's homebuilt NOS tube amps in Chicago last month and loved there sound. His amps would work great in a HT since you can drive them 30 or 60 watts. I may have Craig to build me a set of 3 of his Tube amps to drive my front 3, moving my 250s to the sides and rears. Then maybe someday doing all 7 channels with his amps.

If I only had the money8.gif

JM

I totally forgot about Craigs amps.

Re-read that thread and they are way out of my price range to even do the front three channels, but I might try to find a way to put it together with three plus a SS stereo amp.

Thanks for the suggestion. Time to start saving.

Manley labs has been talking about invading the HT market with tube powered amps.

I read an article not so long ago about there new " snapper " wich faired quite well in a HT enviroment.

Biggest gig is " HEADROOM " and the lack there of from tube amps.

Reference THX reproduced SPL levels need a fast responding high powered amp with plenty of headroom. All of these points are lacking in tube amps, thats why ss rules the HT world right now.

Look at some of the cine-pro stuff that will crack out 2500 watt peaks,gezz even my classe will smack 1000 plus with plenty of room to spare.

I don't listen at reference levels. I'm pushing it if I hit 90db peaks in movies, but that may change if I get a bigger room in the future.

Even at those levels the Anthem amp couldn't handle the bass when crossed over below 50hz. The Lex has no problems at these levels crossed over at 45 or 40hz. Oddly, they are both rated at 125wpc. hmmmm, I'd say one is rated a little more conservatively than the other.

Would I run into problems with tubes crossed over at 80hz?

Or, put it this way, would I be able to hit 100db peaks on bass heavy scenes by running 60 watt tubes with it crossed over at 80hz?