Front effect speaker

Jerry22m

Welcome Dearlv, I hope you saved the pit to grow on! With 35 watts a front effects channel, you have got plenty of power for a wide range of efficient Klipsch speakers. My favorites thus far have been SB-2 monitors mounted 6' high and a yard outside the mains if space is a premium... and KLF 10's if you have room (I mounted mine inverted on 47" tall corner equipment racks).

I prefer Legends with Legends... and the KLF 10 horn provides a better background sound IMHO for either KLF 20 or 30 mains. Set them up with a Radio Shack analog SPL meter for the best results... your KLF 20 based sound system will take on more of a spacious character than you believed possible... and the C-7 will blend much better than before. ENJOY! HornEd

PS: Be sure to toe-in the front effects slightly and beware the standing wave...Wavey.gif that lurk with multiple large woofers.

------------------

"Where Legends Live! Klipsch Powered HT"

FOREGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF C7 Center, KLF 30 Mains, KLF 10 Front Effects

BACKGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 L&R Side/Surrounds, KLF 30 L&R Rear Effects

LARGE MOUTH BASS:

Twin SVS CS-Ultra sub with Samson Megawatt Amp

SPEAKER SUPPORT SYSTEMS:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

and such... Tweakin' On!

Cornwall II / KSW-15 Music Room Under Construction

KLF-10's way too big for me for front fx. I was thinking SB-2, an inwall, or 2 more KLF-C7. something like RB5's are great, but don't seem to really match tonally (I have RB5's in another room).

RX-V1 is great, but I have to set up front fx!

Actually, I also think the KLF 10's seem a little big for Front Effects... but they sound soooo good in that role. I debated with myself for six months before I built their custom front effects equipment stands. My mains now sound like much larger speakers.

However, let me also hasten to say that the SB-2's worked VERY well... and before that I used some smaller Infinity monitors. IMHO, the tone & timbre issue is not as large a factor for front effects. The goal is to build a high & wide sound curtain against which the mains can stand out. There is no audio sweep from Front Effects to Mains likely to occur in any movie or music.

Experiment! You have more audio latitude with Front Effects than with any other speaker set. You may surprise yourself... since the mission of Front Effects is really to provide "audio clues" that you mind will shape in conjunction with the dominant speakers (mains). Remember, we are not hearing the "real thing" but rather creating an illusion of the real thing to enjoy. It is similar to the illusion that the brain makes of red, blue and green light to provide your HT screen with "full color" digital images.

There is more to enjoy with Front Effects than most people realize... I was certainly a slow learner... and that isn't my style. cwm5.gif HornEd

This message has been edited by HornEd on 07-09-2001 at 07:36 PM

Dearlv, I have posted pics of this theater that I built as a 93rd birthday present for my mother illustrating different aspects. When I get the new subs and KLF 30 center settled in, I'll take some more and post them.

The C-7 is a great speaker, but somewhat of a compromised Legend that filled in in a time of need. I used KLF 10's as front effects because there was no bookshelf Legend... and they helped make the C-7 fit in better than before.

I will say this, you could do worse for side/surrounds and rear effects speakers than a C-7. But, buying four C-7's as a holding pattern (using them as front and rear center and side surrounds) until you settled on your next great leap forward... figuring that you could likely get your money back as they become more scarce over the next year or two.

As the 5.1 world unfolds to 6.1 and beyond, discrete channels will dictate having six speakers as close in tone and timbre as possible.

On that note, I haven't heard them, but the Klipsch minions have made a pretty good case for buying six RC7's... although I am not sure that I would want a tapered array on anything but the true center channel.

Believe it or not, I was trying to make things easier... but I guess I will have to settle for honest.cwm4.gif HornEd

This message has been edited by HornEd on 07-09-2001 at 11:22 PM

Horned, thanks for all the tips, I hope that you can keep us Yamaha underdogs up to date with your experiments/tweaks and everything else that you want to share. Hurry up and get us some pics of your system.

------------------

Cruzer