Front effect speaker

Jerry22m

jer, could u provide the other speakers?

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnects & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

RF-5? << what i'm going with

Anyone... that realy knows?

------------------

Living Room:

Yamaha Natural Sound A-500 Stereo Amplifier

2 Klipsch Heresys on A switch

2 Fisher STV-873 on B switch

My Room:

Klipsch Pro Medias

2 Fisher Surrounds

Jerry:

Since the purpose of the front effects speakers is to add depth (and width) to the soundstage, I would stick with KLF-10's for front effects also. It is a similiar situation as having a matched center to your mains...RF-5's do sound a lot different than any of the Legend series and will be more noticed as additional speakers in the system...

PhilH

yea then like phil says, or i'd maybe go w/ klf-20 or 30 for fronts & move the 10 over for effects.

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnects & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

A pair of KLF-10's would be great as front effects...but aren't they kind of large? Yamaha recommends the front effect speakers be placed high on the wall and just to the outsides of the front mains if possible. I am using a pair of little ole kg.5's as front effects. They are mounted on omnimounts about 6 1/2 to 7 feet from the floor. Everything has been adjusted using a radio-shack level meter. SOUNDS GREAT!! Smile.gif

Mike (The Yamaha underdog....) Wink.gif

ChorusII mains

KG.5 front effects

Academy center

KG1.5 rear surrounds

SW12II sub

Yamaha RX-V2090 receiver

Sony DVP-S500DP DVD (w/built in decoder)

My vote is with the ever sharp PhilH! The RF-5 is a great speaker... but Legends seem to get on with Legends best of all. Is not a "quality" issue... it's a "voice" thing. Remember your favorite singer doing a signature song... and compare that to any other competent singer doing the same tune. The expanded Reference line may be the greatest home audio ever conceived... but they just aren't Legends... and that is okay.

For me, KLF 10's (sitting upside down on 47" tall equipment cabinets placed 36" outside the main speakers) provide a Legendary front effects background soundstage. They blend smoothly with the KLF 30 mains, C-7 center and KSW-15 subwoofer. By inverting the KLF 10's, the horn may be aimed at a point just above the ears of anyone sitting in the "sweet spot."

If you are using Yamaha's front effects set up, you have about 15-35 watts to pour into each front effects speaker... and that is more than enough punch for front effects duties in a speaker as efficient as a KLF 10. I use a Radio Shack analog SPL meter and set the front effects about 5 dB under the mains. When it is set up correctly, the front effects provide a high, wide and handsome sound stage for that big as all outdoors feeling... while the mains and center stay close to the screen as the sound focus of the event. The effect can be quite dramatic for HT... and the KLF 10's have outperformed any other speaker I tried in that spot (which run the gamut from Klipsch SB-2's on down to a series of smaller Infinity bookshelf speakers that were far less efficient).

The combination of KLF 30 mains with KLF 10 front effects, when set up correctly, are particularly delicious ear candy for any Klipsch fan. It is so sweet that after auditioning several different higher-priced amps for my HT... I kept the one with the most dramatic sound stage. In fact, I find the front effects speakers to have a greater overall effect on HT enjoyment than the rear effects speaker(s) than any 6.1 or 7.1 config I have tried.

As human beings, our eyes and ears are lined up like a predator... and, as with any predator, it's what's up front that counts. cwm4.gif HornEd

------------------

"Living With The Legends"

KLF 30 L&R Mains

KLF C7 Center

KLF 30 L&R Surrounds

KLF 30 L&R Rear Effects

KLF 10 L&R Front Effects

KSW-15 + 3 KSW-12 Subwoofers

Twin SVS CS-Ultra Sub (enroute)

Speaker Support Systems:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65"

Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

Sampson 1,000 watt Sub Amp

and such... Tweak On!

This message has been edited by HornEd on 06-27-2001 at 10:15 AM

Hi Ed. You must have a pretty large room to put all those legends in. If I had your set-up, we'd have to double the speakers as chairs, coffee tables, wood stove... etc. Man I wish my living room was bigger!

OUTSTANDING set-up you have there! All those subs too!!!!!!!!!!! Biggrin.gif

Take care

Mike

Hey, Cruzar, you're right about the SPL meter. In this world of multiple speakers and built-in psychoacoustic bias, there is no substitute for a $35 Radio Shack SPL meter... and get the *analog* version for a better dose of sonic truth. If you really want to see the difference front effects speakers can make to a sound stage... couple your meter settings with an EQ and you will be amazed at the variations you can get to set off your mains from the thundering herd. At least in my HornEd experience... cwm4.gif

PS to MikeKid: You missed the HornEd point Mike... my ultimate horn is the shoehorn that allows me to slip into the sweetspot. LOL Not quite there yet, though.cwm25.gif

This message has been edited by HornEd on 07-07-2001 at 11:51 AM

• 2 weeks later...

HornEd, thanks for the reply, I am calling a friend in Georgia so he can send me one of those SPL meters. One question, I though that EQs were not needed with a receiver, can you tell me more? I have an EQ in the basement that I could use...

Thanks!!!

------------------

Cruzer

Cruzar, for me EQ's are somewhat of a mixed bag. On the one hand, I don't like to but any extra circuitry between my ears and the sound source... but experimenting with an EQ can tell you a lot about your particular sound environment... along with data verified by your properly used analog SPL meter.

I have a new EQ coming next week along with my eagerly anticipated Twin SVS CS-Ultra subs and Samson 1000 watt amp.

I think if you have an EQ in mothballs, you should drag it out and experiment a little when you get your new SPL meter. The better you get to know the acoustic qualities of your room, the easier it is to get the best sound out of whatever rig you have. Once you have "shaped" your acoustics with an EQ, you can decide if you want to keep it in the loop... at least your decision will come from a more knowledgeable set of facts.

cwm40.gifI don't recall your equipment set, Cruzar, but I find putting money into the best sub and then finding the best spot for it makes the best basis for setting up the rest of my rig to its best advantage... and often that means thinking "SMALL" when it comes to speaker settings!

Know thyself is still great advice, but knowing thy acoustic environment is not far behind! Go for it! HornEd

HornEd, my system consist of:

Chorus IIs front

KLF-20s rear

C-7 center

KSW-12 sub

KSB 3.1 front effects

Yamaha RX-V2095 receiver

Pioneer DV-535 DVD player

Denon DCM-370 CD player

ADC 325 EQ

I also have some DBX pieces in the basement. Are you using the tape loop to hook up the EQ?

------------------

Cruzer

Cruzer, I am setting up an experiment with a new EQ that arrives this Thursday with my new Twin SVS CS-Ultra subs. The equipment I now use is another generation from my previous experiments. I will be glad to share my findings over the next few weeks with you and any other Klipschers that may care to tune in.

So far, in my current experiment, I have been able to achieve much greater sound in a much smaller room than I have ever been privileged to do before. To achieve this, I have dared to test what "they" say is correct and find out, empirically, what does and doesn't work.

I have been able to learn from this Forum... to weave a thread through these threads and develop a step-by-step process to shape a better, cost effective path to better HT and musical systems. Maybe it is being presumptuous... and that is fair, for I have been called that for well over half a century... and still have been able to create major breakthroughs in several different fields. I beg your indulgence,,, for I am very excited about the personal audio frontiers that are immediately before me. HornEd